What did you cook or eat today (July 2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll have a Taylor ham (pork roll) and cheese sandwich for lunch.

My favorite pork roll isn't Taylor brand, but It's still called Taylor ham. I've worked at places that sell Taylor ham that is actually Trenton brand. It's just custom in New Jersey to call all pork roll Taylor ham.

This is what I like.

View attachment 102919

In South Jersey, the only name I ever heard it called was pork roll. My parents and grandparents called it pork roll. I never heard the name "Taylor Ham" until I was an adult. I call it pork roll to this day.

I need to get some soon (Boar's Head distributes it down here). Pork roll with white American cheese on a hamburger bun (fried egg optional) is a childhood favorite. We ate it pretty regularly when I was a kid. Now, I buy some once or twice a year.

Just curious, do you eat Subs, or Hoagies? That's another North/South Jersey thing.

CD :okay:

Too hot (99F) to do any long cooking. I had a Taylor ham (pork roll) and cheese on a toasted, buttered English muffin for dinner. It's supposed to be just as hot or hotter today. No clue what I'll have tonight.
I think it's going to be 95 here today which is very hot for NE Ohio.

We had fresh garden salads with lettuce and tomatoes from the garden and store bought produce last night. Mine also had cucumber, radish, goat cheese, bacon, and dried cranberries topped with chicken. Hubby had mushrooms, olives, bacon, chicken and blue cheese. I cooked the chicken in my small countertop oven (it was 91 yesterday).

But making pan seared sea scallops tonight, not sure about sides. Scallops only take about 5 minutes so not too much heating up the kitchen.

Just curious, do you eat Subs, or Hoagies? That's another North/South Jersey thing.
Here where I’m at (Ohio, not NJ), those are both common, and a little less used but not unheard term is “hero” (not to be confused with “gyro,” which in true SW Ohio fashion, is usually pronounced as “ji-row,” same as a gyroscope :wink: ).

The one that threw me was when I first moved to my wife’s hometown in upstate NY, because there, a sandwich like that will frequently be called a “grinder.”

Here where I’m at (Ohio, not NJ), those are both common, and a little less used but not unheard term is “hero” (not to be confused with “gyro,” which in true SW Ohio fashion, is usually pronounced as “ji-row,” same as a gyroscope :wink: ).

The one that threw me was when I first moved to my wife’s hometown in upstate NY, because there, a sandwich like that will frequently be called a “grinder.”
I've heard all of those terms used pretty much interchangeably.

We have a sandwich place about 20 miles from here called Grinders.

In South Jersey, the only name I ever heard it called was pork roll. My parents and grandparents called it pork roll. I never heard the name "Taylor Ham" until I was an adult. I call it pork roll to this day.

I need to get some soon (Boar's Head distributes it down here). Pork roll with white American cheese on a hamburger bun (fried egg optional) is a childhood favorite. We ate it pretty regularly when I was a kid. Now, I buy some once or twice a year.

CD :okay:
I eat a hero

Grinder is more of a New England thing. Perhaps upstate NY feels more akin to NE than NY. :laugh:

CD

I've heard all of those terms used pretty much interchangeably.

We have a sandwich place about 20 miles from here called Grinders.

They are basically the same thing, but people call them different things. An Italian Hoagie in Philadelphia tastes the same as an Italian Sub in NYC, to me.

CD

They are basically the same thing, but people call them different things. An Italian Hoagie in Philadelphia tastes the same as an Italian Sub in NYC, to me.

CD
That's why I used the word "interchangeably".

Oyster cracker…hot sauce…must be a Skyline day:

IMG_5187.jpeg

Oyster cracker…hot sauce…must be a Skyline day:

View attachment 102948

Did you go for the four way (is that what it's called)?

I still have that can of Skyline chili you sent me. I keep forgetting about it. I just checked, and it hasn't expired. I need to put it out on the kitchen counter so I remember to try it. I'm still not sure whether to go all out and serve it on spaghetti. I guess I should go for the whole experience.

CD

Did you go for the four way (is that what it's called)?
Well, I don’t like their chili sauce, so no, I don’t get any of the ways, I just get a coney dog minus the coney, and fries with a side of sour cream (no mayonnaise in the place).

I'm still not sure whether to go all out and serve it on spaghetti. I guess I should go for the whole experience.
The 3-way is considered sort of the flagship dish - whatever you do, please don’t just pour it in a bowl and try an eat it with some crackers - it’s a chili sauce, not a bowl of chili.

In case you need a reference:

IMG_5188.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom