What did you cook or eat today (June 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The state of Oaxaca is known for it's seven moles. There are also some chilis that grow there which aren't commercially available. I'd love to get my hands on some! Have you ever cooked with epazote?
I have not. have you? Did you like it? I see it can be acquired on Amazon.

Spanish Tortilla. Not strictly authentic because I had some mushrooms and smoked ham to use up but i didn’t care, it was rather delicious! Eggs, Jersey Royal potatoes, garlic, green pepper, smoked ham, mushroom, sea salt and black pepper.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, why did he say biscuits, when the picture shows cookies? :scratchhead:

CD
Just to clear this up, it's the "language barrier" we sometimes have. I'm fairly certain The Velvet Curtain was having a play at this:

Biscuit (UK) = Cookie (US)
Scone (UK) = Biscuit (US)

I remember the song by XTC (below) where there are two lines that seemed hilarious to me until I realized he was using UK terminology:

One began with "And all the world is football-shaped"
The other began with "And all the world is biscuit-shaped"

Realizing now that the football and the biscuit are both round means the singer is being clever, and not crazy.

Just to clear this up, it's the "language barrier" we sometimes have. I'm fairly certain The Velvet Curtain was having a play at this:

I remember the song by XTC (below) where there are two lines that seemed hilarious to me until I realized he was using UK terminology:

Realizing now that the football and the biscuit are both round means the singer is being clever, and not crazy.

You have gone up in my estimation immeasurably with this reference to XTC. May I show you the t-shirt I am wearing right now.

Yes, the whole point of my post was that both biscuits and gravy mean different things in our respective countries.

Just to clear this up, it's the "language barrier" we sometimes have. I'm fairly certain @The Velvet Curtain was having a play at this:

Err.. yes. Course he was! And I'm sure caseydog knew that too. The Velvet Curtain knows what it is perfectly well - especially since he started a thread about it & also made American biscuits with gravy. See here: #53

The start of that thread is here: Calling all Americans!

Fish and chips, a cold pint and a sunny beer garden. You're just trying to wind us up aren't you :mad:.

The thing I miss most about lockdown is the pub :cry:

We've been very 'lucky' over here. We were one of the first if not the first place in Britain to declare as virus free. Part of our luck was that we are a small Island, however it would have been easy to squander that luck by following bad advice.

We have a great Director of Public Health, Dr Nicola Brink, and some politicians who actually listened to her (Gavin St Pier, Heidi Soulsby) instead of big business and the 'it's only fluers'. We went for lockdown quite early and adopted a track, trace and isolate policy. It does help to have people who are competent running things.

So although pubs and the like are open they are still restricted, table service only, card payments only social distancing etc.

And yes, the beer was good! I had two that I'd not tried before Butcombe's Underfall and Butcombe's Stateside, an American IPA.

"1 2 3 4 5....senses working overtime"

Always loved that one.... and "Generals and Majors" which in the original film clip a young Richard Branson briefly appears.

We had eggs, bacon, potatoes, toast...breakfast for supper, something I'm morally opposed to most nights, but I didn't get a hot breakfast this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom