What did you cook or eat today (June 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else here use beef that's 'on the point'? Most good butchers here will age beef for 28 days, a few years ago I experimented with dry ageing a rib of beef for getting on 45 days, and wow it was good. Yesterday I cooked a piece of sirloin steak that had been in the fridge for a week, so aged at least 35 days. The connective tissues had broken down so it would not stand on its end to brown off the fat without assistance, and the outer layer came away on the tongs. Boy, was it tender, and incredibly tasty.

Does anyone else here use beef that's 'on the point'? Most good butchers here will age beef for 28 days, a few years ago I experimented with dry ageing a rib of beef for getting on 45 days, and wow it was good. Yesterday I cooked a piece of sirloin steak that had been in the fridge for a week, so aged at least 35 days. The connective tissues had broken down so it would not stand on its end to brown off the fat without assistance, and the outer layer came away on the tongs. Boy, was it tender, and incredibly tasty.

If I'm having people over, I leave fillet steaks out seasoned with s and p for up to 10 days. When my friend had his butcher shop he always had steaks hanging. I've had aged wagyu beef at a posh restaurant. Melt in the mouth stuff.

Russ

Wife bought home ham on the bone sliced up. I made a ham and creamed corn sammich, with lots of pepper. 10/10

Russ

They were beef enchiladas. I had put some leftover pot roast in the freezer, shredded, seasoned and in a small bag. Just the right amount. I ate two last night and two for breakfast.

I like cheese and onion too. I'll never forget the first time I had them.
What's inside? Are they cheese and onion enchiladas? They are my favorite!

CD
What kind?

They were beef enchiladas. I had put some leftover pot roast in the freezer, shredded, seasoned and in a small bag. Just the right amount. I ate two last night and two for breakfast.

I like cheese and onion too. I'll never forget the first time I had them.

Ever make them with chicken and green chili sauce?

That depends on what you mean by "green chili sauce". But yes, I sometimes want the chicken/green chili version and will use whatever I have on hand. I don't like the canned green sauces so I usually just whip up a can of cream of chicken soup with a can of diced green chilies for the sauce. So while I can make the red sauce from scratch i never learned the green.

Ever make them with chicken and green chili sauce?

That depends on what you mean by "green chili sauce". But yes, I sometimes want the chicken/green chili version and will use whatever I have on hand. I don't like the canned green sauces so I usually just whip up a can of cream of chicken soup with a can of diced green chilies for the sauce. So while I can make the red sauce from scratch i never learned the green.

You'll find with me that I always mean fresh. homemade food. My green chili sauce uses fresh polano chilis, tomatillos, garlic and onion, all of which get roasted first. Spices are freshly toasted and ground cumin seeds (lots of it) and Mexican oregano. I make variations of it, but those are my go to ingredients. I also like slow cooked sauces with many ingredients:

Recipe - Oaxacan Mole Negro

Yes I don't consider a can of soup "cooking" either. Your sauce sounds divine. Also the Mole recipe is fascinating. I never learned to like Mole although I have tried it several times in the effort to understand it. But the variety of ingredients in that recipe makes me wonder if I ever had it "right" LOL.

You'll find with me that I always mean fresh. homemade food. My green chili sauce uses fresh polano chilis, tomatillos, garlic and onion, all of which get roasted first. Spices are freshly toasted and ground cumin seeds (lots of it) and Mexican oregano. I make variations of it, but those are my go to ingredients. I also like slow cooked sauces with many ingredients:

Recipe - Oaxacan Mole Negro

Yes I don't consider a can of soup "cooking" either. Your sauce sounds divine. Also the Mole recipe is fascinating. I never learned to like Mole although I have tried it several times in the effort to understand it. But the variety of ingredients in that recipe makes me wonder if I ever had it "right" LOL.

The state of Oaxaca is known for it's seven moles. There are also some chilis that grow there which aren't commercially available. I'd love to get my hands on some! Have you ever cooked with epazote?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom