What did you cook or eat today (June 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes! Weird I know, bit it's historic. As a teen, back in the 80's, they were the first fast food outlet to open in our area. I may now have an issue with the principle of fast food, but from time to time I still crave a BigMac, Filet o' Fish, Double Cheese Burger, Fries, Apple whatever they called it, and a vanilla shake. And that was all in one sitting. I was a deprived child.

When I first got my driver's license my mom would send me into town on little errands, just to give me a chance to drive. We only had three fast-food restaurants then, a local hamburger joint modeled on McD's, a KFC on the edge of town, and a Burger Chef (anyone remember those?) right downtown.

Then, a Long John Silver's opened. Now, I've said many times that I don't like seafood or fish, except fish-and-chips, and that's (more or less) what LJS is, except in true fast-food fashion, the fish is about 1/4" thick, and the batter is twice that, so it's less fish-and-chips and more like batter-and-chips, and I tasted it and loved it.

One afternoon, Mom gave me some money and told me to go into town and get one of their combo boxes, probably called something appropriate like "LJS Treasure Chest," which had maybe nine fish fillets, a few chicken planks, a big tub of coke slaw, and about a dozen hush puppies. This was to feed the three of us with some leftover.

I got into town, ordered it, and they usually fried it fresh, so I had to wait a bit, got it all sacked up, out in the car, and as soon as I did, I started smelling all that greasy goodness sitting next to me.

"Oh, it'll be 30 minutes by the time I get this home and Mom gets this doled out...I'll just have one of my pieces now."

Chomp, chomp, chomp

"...and I don't want my hush puppies to get cold..."

Chomp, chomp, chomp

"Wow, that's so good, I'll just have another..."

By the time I got home, I'd eaten a good 3/4ths of the hot food, there was barely enough for just them, and Mom had to quick whip up some fried potatoes to flesh out the meal.

Taco salad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom