What did you cook or eat today (June 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ayam goreng asam....basically a fried Indonesian style chicken wings dish. Cooked up as finger food to accompany my beers watching (just started now) our biggest rugby league showcase series here in Oz, the State of Origin (New South Wales V Queensland).

View: https://youtu.be/8EsXbmsS65E

Mate I think everyday is a big day for you with your family. When I was single it was just a long holiday for me.

Being 60 years old, divorced, with no kids, Christmas is not a big deal for me. I spend it with my 87 year old mom, 89-year old dad, and my sister. They cook Christmas dinner, so the food is mediocre. I do get lots of nap time in, which is nice.

CD

Mom will be at my house for lunch, just finished to prepared something light and fresh, no stovetop involved as it’s 28 degrees :heat:

Panzanella
Rocket salad with toasted sesame seeds
Mini raspberry cheesecakes

View attachment 66133

View attachment 66134

View attachment 66131

View attachment 66132

Nice light summer meal. It is only 89F/32C today, but storms are coming. Not sure I'll be able to cook my steak outdoors. No big deal.

I'm thinking stir fried veggies on the side. I would REALLY like to do that in my Weber cast iron wok over screaming hot charcoal, so I may wait and do that tomorrow or Tuesday.

CD

Last edited:
Aldeburgh as usual. We are booked into the Butley Orford Oysterage on the Friday evening, so Oysters and smoked fish are in order.

menu – Pinneys Of Orford

I had to look up Angels on Horseback. I need to make some of those on the charcoal grill. They sound great! I'm thinking indirect heat, with a chunk of hickory on the coals. Oysters, bacon, smoke -- that has to be good.

CD

The oysterage, Aldeburgh or both? We always go back to the same B&B, the owners are almost friends now.

I love B&Bs. My ex-wife and I used to stay in one on Cape Cod in August, when it was brutally hot in Texas. We would rent a convertible car, and eat our way across the Cape. This particular B&B was owned by a wonderful young couple with a toddler. The wife was an outstanding baker, and the husband could cook some seriously good egg dishes. Breakfast was something we looked forward to every night before we went to bed. They also kept fresh baked pastries and cookies out all day, so if we got back to the B&B in the afternoon, we could have a treat and some tea before getting ready to go out for dinner.

CD

Nice light summer meal. It is only 89F/32C today, but storms are coming. Not sure I'll be able to cook my steak outdoors. No big deal.

I'm thinking stir fried veggies on the side. I would REALLy like to do that in my Weber cast iron wok over screaming hot charcoal, so I may wait and do that tomorrow or Tuesday.

CD

I didn't really have the courage to turn on the cooker today and having bought a lot of vegetables including tomatoes, cucumbers and some friselle, the choice was pretty obvious. And then I knew that mum had been wanting Panzanella for a long time and wanting to take her mind off cooking, it all came together perfectly.
The mini cheesecakes were far from perfect, but they were nice and we enjoyed them.

Oh dear, I've just seen the Weber cast iron wok and frying pan advert on TV! And I was intrigued. Since you mentioned yours I guess they are good products then.

The last time I ate something made on the BBQ I think it was three years ago from a neighbour who has a big garden and a big BBQ. I love it. Unfortunately I don't have a chance because I don't have a garden, just a terrace. Lucky you.

Hope you'll have the chance to make your steak with stir fry veggies soon.

I didn't really have the courage to turn on the cooker today and having bought a lot of vegetables including tomatoes, cucumbers and some friselle, the choice was pretty obvious. And then I knew that mum had been wanting Panzanella for a long time and wanting to take her mind off cooking, it all came together perfectly.
The mini cheesecakes were far from perfect, but they were nice and we enjoyed them.

Oh dear, I've just seen the Weber cast iron wok and frying pan advert on TV! And I was intrigued. Since you mentioned yours I guess they are good products then.

The last time I ate something made on the BBQ I think it was three years ago from a neighbour who has a big garden and a big BBQ. I love it. Unfortunately I don't have a chance because I don't have a garden, just a terrace. Lucky you.

Hope you'll have the chance to make your steak with stir fry veggies soon.

All Weber products are quality products, IMO.

Here is my Weber Wok in action. Shrimp and veggie stir fry. Those coals easily produce 800F/425C. You can't get that kind of heat on a normal stove.

Wok002.jpg

As for the steak, it will be cooked tonight, one way or another. The stir fry veggies may have to wait, depending on what Mother Nature decides to do.

CD

EDIT: I did a little research, and my estimate of 1,000F was a bit high. Realistically, it's more like 800F. I corrected it in my post.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom