What did you cook or eat today (June 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lunch just s quick toasted sammy, cheddar cheese and chow chow. Filled the gap.

Russ

Cream cheese on a bed of baked mashed apples...not bad. Over rice crackers.

Mlinci(dry pasta) traditional with a non traditional ingredient, purple batat.

From the new dairy+ store.

My Mom opted to wait 5 hours and receive the shots at her doctor's ...which I agreed,as bending and sitting(taxi) is way more painful,and the er they pointed is 20-30 min drive away,and this is just less than a minute from her home.

I went with her.

Will get some today as well. Possibly over the next 7-8 days,daily. Thu is a religious holiday, nin workday, hopefully she can bridge that with Voltaren gel and the shots from before and after.

Full day in school.

She was in a lot of pain, but her spirit was up, I was glad when she said Oh look at those lady's shoes...on another lady patient...oh Mom...

This is oyakodon, chicken and egg over rice. You can make one in ten minutes or you can do some extra steps to add umami to the chicken and enrich the umami in the sauce:

I make my own (strong) dashi with 30 grams kombu, 30 grams (freshly shaven) bonito, and one liter of water. I salt the chicken for twenty minutes, rinse it in the sink, sear it on both sides and then put that partly cooked chicken in the room temperature dashi to absorb the umami as chicken cools and draws the dashi into itself then put it in the fridge overnight. I use that 'sauce' in the dish and proceed as normal and it makes all the difference. My Japanese friends said it was the best oyakodon they'd ever had.

oyakodon.jpg

(hmmm, looked better on my iPhone....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom