What did you cook or eat today (June 2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I REALLY must try grits again next time I'm in Cincinnati. Last time I tried was 1974. I love sweetcorn/corn on the cob, whatever you call it, but when it's dried out and ground up, it just tastes bland. Here in Venezuela a staple is an arepa. Basically a flattened corn patty which is split open and filled with all sorts of yummy stuff. It's made from white cornmeal. On its own - boring. Filled - divine. Same goes for polenta. On its own - meh. Put some mushrooms or garlic or herbs in it - wow. Odd, isn't it?

I REALLY must try grits again next time I'm in Cincinnati. Last time I tried was 1974. I love sweetcorn/corn on the cob, whatever you call it, but when it's dried out and ground up, it just tastes bland. Here in Venezuela a staple is an arepa. Basically a flattened corn patty which is split open and filled with all sorts of yummy stuff. It's made from white cornmeal. On its own - boring. Filled - divine. Same goes for polenta. On its own - meh. Put some mushrooms or garlic or herbs in it - wow. Odd, isn't it?
Yeah, grits are made from hominy (large kernel white corn) which isn't tasty. With grits, I add butter, salt, cream, and cheese. They are pretty wonderful when done right.

Late lunch.
Pbj the jam is home made from our own raspberries. On toast

Russ

20230630_123307.jpg

I made a country-style chicken fried steak dinner with mashed potatoes and white pepper gravy, plus buttered lima bean cooked with bacon for a side. Instead of using the traditional pounded sirloin (or similar cut) cube steaks, i used 80/20 ground beef patties because that's what I had on hand. It was fantastic! I loosely followed this recipe but tweaked it. I used buttermilk for the dredge instead of milk and used heavy cream in my gravy, plus lots of pepper (nod to Russ).

Country Fried Hamburger Steaks With Gravy Recipe - Food.com

Oddly enough, after 24 years together, my husband has never had chicken fried steak! He's now a fan!

I made a country-style chicken fried steak dinner with mashed potatoes and white pepper gravy, plus buttered lima bean cooked with bacon for a side. Instead of using the traditional pounded sirloin (or similar cut) cube steaks, i used 80/20 ground beef patties because that's what I had on hand. It was fantastic! I loosely followed this recipe but tweaked it. I used buttermilk for the dredge instead of milk and used heavy cream in my gravy, plus lots of pepper (nod to Russ).

Country Fried Hamburger Steaks With Gravy Recipe - Food.com

Oddly enough, after 24 years together, my husband has never had chicken fried steak! He's now a fan!
Sounds devine

Russ

I loosely followed this recipe but tweaked it. I used buttermilk for the dredge instead of milk and used heavy cream in my gravy, plus lots of pepper (nod to Russ).
I've not heard the term "country fried" but I assume it means an egg/flour dredging.
Intrigued by the "gravy", which sound more like a form of bechamel to me.

I've not heard the term "country fried" but I assume it means an egg/flour dredging.

I don't intend to step out of line here, but Country Fried steak and Chicken Fried steak are basically the same thing, as far as my limited knowledge goes. Using ground beef is not necessarily the same thing, but who am I to decide that.

CD

I don't intend to step out of line here, but Country Fried steak and Chicken Fried steak are basically the same thing, as far as my limited knowledge goes.
That’s how I see it. Due to the popularity of chicken fried steak around here, we also (and I’m not being funny here) have “chicken fried chicken” on menus - and yes, it’s exactly what it sounds like.

Yep, ok - but "country fried" means dredged in flour and egg?
I guess so, call it whatever you want, really. That's what he did and I suspect a lot of people who write up recipes just go with whatever terms they want to use! But there are country-fried potatoes that are not dredged in flour and egg, so...

I used a buttermilk eggwash and seasoned flour for mine, but I have seen recipes where they used a combo of flour and cornmeal.

By the way, using the ground chuck as opposed to cube steak (pounded sirloin or similar) worked out so much better because my husband has been having some dental issues and has a hard time biting and tearing with his front teeth. He's been taking supplements (calcium and vitamin D) to help build back and strengthen his bones, but he has a kind of splint, or brace, behind his front teeth because one of them was loose. It does seem to be improving over the past few dental visits so looks like the problem tooth is there to stay. At any rate, making food easy for him to cut and chew without having to bite and tear works out so much better. It sucks for pizza and some other foods because he has to cut it into bite-sized with a knife first.

Last edited:

Sort of, but it uses some of the oil from frying the "steaks" to make the gravy. I used heavy cream in mine and very little flour because I just don't like using thickeners very much. And some garlic powder and salt, and lots of pepper!

That’s how I see it. Due to the popularity of chicken fried steak around here, we also (and I’m not being funny here) have “chicken fried chicken” on menus - and yes, it’s exactly what it sounds like.

Yeah, chicken fried chicken appears on menus here, too. Looks like CFS, but with a butterflied, pounded chicken breast. 🤷‍♂️

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom