What did you cook or eat today (March 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recipe - Chicken ginger noodle vege soup

I think it was the first of all pot pies.
At least in the US (Swanson). And we also have Banquet, which is equally mediocre. I think Swanson's was the first to make TV dinners over here as well (blech). Marie's is by far the best, love her crusts and her dinners look good though I haven't tried them (she has a Vermont white sharp cheddar mac and cheese that looks good, but that's something I cook regularly myself with a blend of several types of cheese). But I buy her frozen pie crusts sometimes when I make quiche and don't feel like making my own. And as far as Swanson, Banquet, and Marie's pot pies go, the sodium content and fat content are off the charts. Luckily I don't care. I suppose if I ate them on a regular basis I would worry more about it. I do have 2 Marie's Turkey pot pies in my freezer I bought a few weeks ago on sale, I might have to cook those up one night next week if I don't feel like cooking.

At least in the US (Swanson). And we also have Banquet, which is equally mediocre. I think Swanson's was the first to make TV dinners over here as well (blech). Marie's is by far the best, love her crusts and her dinners look good though I haven't tried them (she has a Vermont white sharp cheddar mac and cheese that looks good, but that's something I cook regularly myself with a blend of several types of cheese). But I buy her frozen pie crusts sometimes when I make quiche and don't feel like making my own. And as far as Swanson, Banquet, and Marie's pot pies go, the sodium content and fat content are off the charts. Luckily I don't care. I suppose if I ate them on a regular basis I would worry more about it. I do have 2 Marie's Turkey pot pies in my freezer I bought a few weeks ago on sale, I might have to cook those up one night next week if I don't feel like cooking.

Sounds yummy.

Russ

I don't normally have lunch but I had to pick up a script do called into bakery and got a chicken Beetroot and salad sammich. My fave from my fave bakery. Got a custard square for wife's supper. She will say I shouldn't have......then happily devour it, lmao.

Russ
Happy wife, happy life, they say :)

Thanks, you just decided me to make some pies, kinda like pot pies? I'll do steak n cheese, steak n mushroom, ( my fave) and maybe something else. My friend butcger has been wanting me to make as well.

Russ
Well yeah, great idea!

I've only had slaw once that I liked, and it was a lemon poppyseed vinaigrette slaw that was quite good. I never liked the mayonnaise based slaws, and I think that's because at times people put that Miracle Whip type stuff that looks like mayo but isn't, I can't stand that stuff. So I quit trying it, too risky to find out it's not real mayonnaise.

I remember going to my MIL's house many years ago and she had stuff to make sandwiches out but only had mustard. I asked her if she had any mayonnaise, and she said yes, in the frig, I looked and looked but there was no mayonnaise, so I told her so. She went into the frig and pulled out a jar of Miracle Whip salad dressing and said, "Here it is." I said, "That's not mayonnaise, it's Miracle Whip." She said, "Same thing." Um, no. no, it's not.

What Are the Ingredients in Miracle Whip?
"The ingredients in Miracle Whip are mustard flour, water, soybean oil, paprika, high fructose corn syrup, eggs, vinegar, modified cornstarch, salt, natural flavor, dried garlic, the preservative potassium sorbate, and spice, according to Kraft Foods."

What Are the Ingredients in Mayonnaise?
"Mayonnaise is made using egg yolks, oil, vinegar or lemon juice and seasonings to create a thick, creamy and spreadable condiment. Mayonnaise is created by emulsifying the ingredients together by slowly adding the oil to the egg yolks and lemon juice, while simultaneously mixing them together. The egg yolks act as the emulsifier to prevent the mixture from separating once the mixing is complete."
I also do not like Miracle Whip. I don't know what it is that does it, but something in it makes it smell awful.

As to pot pies, I like Marie Callendar's during the eating, but there's something in those that tears my insides up, and let's just say as good as they are going in, they're murder coming out. I had to stop eating them years ago.

I had half a can of Wolf Brand chili left from last night's Frito pie, so I put it in a bowl, nuked it, and topped it with the remaining Fritos and some shredded cheese.

My lower gastrointestinal system is now making it very clear that it does not approve of my choice of cuisine for the evening. :stop:

CD

EDIT: This reminds me of a joke...

All the organs of the body were having a meeting, trying to decide who was the one in charge...​

"I should be in charge," said the brain , "Because I run all the body's systems, so without me nothing would happen."
"I should be in charge," said the blood , "Because I circulate oxygen all over so without me you'd waste away."
"I should be in charge," said the stomach," Because I process food and give all of you energy."
"I should be in charge," said the legs, "because I carry the body wherever it needs to go."
"I should be in charge," said the eyes, "Because I allow the body to see where it goes."
"I should be in charge," said the rectum, "Because Im responsible for waste removal."
All the other body parts laughed at the rectum and insulted him, so in a huff, he shut down tight. Within a few days, the brain had a terrible headache, the stomach was bloated, the legs got wobbly, the eyes got watery, and the blood was toxic. They all decided that the rectum should be the boss.
The Moral of the story? Even though the others do all the work.... The a$$hole is usually in charge.

Last edited:
You can also use beef broth/stock instead of water to get a darker color. Canned stock or stock made from a cube is easy, and works fine -- no need to make stock from scratch for a little gravy.

CD
Will try that for sure too. Want to master different gravy options. And eventually get a gravy serving pot/dish. Those pretty ones...

After staying in all day because we were feeling rough after the Covid jab. I played up the symptoms like a true man. Mrs B made me coddled eggs on toast for dinner. I did not take any pics as I thought she would suss my scam. These pics are from last year.
1616658686562.png
1616658708394.png
1616658738169.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom