What did you cook or eat today (March 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caramel popcorn. I then tried putting them in the oven to make them crispier, but that ended with burnt popcorn and a burnt oven tray that I've been scrapping for the past hour lol

View attachment 58587
Want to know my secret? I made caramel corn for my kiddies all the time.

I put the popcorn in a brown paper bag (like a grocery bag), pour the caramel in, hold closed and shake. All the popcorn gets covered, doesn't stick to the bag and no messy dishes to clean!

5ACB73AA-DA2B-4341-A4F6-552C1281605B.jpeg

I finally made it to my favorite produce market.
  • Plum tomatoes were a dollar a quart, so I made oven dried tomatoes.
  • The chimichurri is similar to my previous recipe, with a blend of mint and dill, but I added green olives this time.
  • I used the last of my pickled beets, so needless to say I needed to make more.
  • The cucumbers took a detour on the way to becoming dill pickles. I decided to include freshly sliced ginger root, Szechuan peppercorns, and Serano pepper. I have no idea what it will taste like, but I am certain of one thing: nobody else in my family will want to try it.
Actually, that last sentence is redundant. My family usually doesn’t want to try my food. I know caseydog expressed a similar sentiment recently: if they don’t like it, they don’t have to eat it.

I kept one of the small NZ fillet steaks back from the freezer. My wife obtained some green peppercorns and yoghurt this morning so I knocked up a green peppercorn sauce.

The steak was pan fried in a little olive oil 60 seconds each side then subjected to the blowlamp for about 30 seconds each side.

The chips were airfried (after parboiling for 3 minutes)......

And the result was extremely good (including the sauce - which I can still taste).

I kept one of the small NZ fillet steaks back from the freezer. My wife obtained some green peppercorns and yoghurt this morning so I knocked up a green peppercorn sauce.

The steak was pan fried in a little olive oil 60 seconds each side then subjected to the blowlamp for about 30 seconds each side.

And the result was extremely good (including the sauce - which I can still taste).

Nice, I was planning steak with peppercorn sauce too today.

You sliced those steaks pretty thin. Were you able to keep them red/pink inside?

CD

You sliced those steaks pretty thin. Were you able to keep them red/pink inside?

CD

Not red but pink. I sliced some thin and some a little thicker. That was one of the thin ones (about 19mm).

Want to know my secret? I made caramel corn for my kiddies all the time.

I put the popcorn in a brown paper bag (like a grocery bag), pour the caramel in, hold closed and shake. All the popcorn gets covered, doesn't stick to the bag and no messy dishes to clean!
Thank you for the tip, how do the popcorn taste with this method? Mine were too soggy before the oven.

Wow, that's a real blast from the past. Steak Diane cooked table side was a big thing in US restaurants in the 1960s.

CD
Yes now Yorky had already made a peppercorn sauce I decided to think of something else and this came to mind. It's really quite nice and has no reason to be out of fashion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom