What did you cook or eat today (March 2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cajun Red Beans and Rice (with andouille sausage).

RedBeansRice001.jpg

CD

Cauliflower with white sauce, meatballs in sambal gravy and roast potatoes
View attachment 81743

"Sambal gravy with meat" - now there's an idea!

I've had prawn sambal (sambal udang) and egg sambal but never included meat. I've never thought of it. Was your's beef, pork, lamb or chicken?

This is in my freezer.......

"Sambal gravy with meat" - now there's an idea!

I've had prawn sambal (sambal udang) and egg sambal but never included meat. I've never thought of it. Was your's beef, pork, lamb or chicken?

This is in my freezer.......

Traditional for the type of sambal I see you have I would use pork , but a lot of Indos like me make beef meatballs in a sambal gravy too. The ones I had today were made with lean beef mince. Lamb would be less suitable because the special flavor would be drowned by the sambal.

Traditional for the type of sambal I see you have I would use pork , but a lot of Indos like me make beef meatballs in a sambal gravy too. The ones I had today were made with lean beef mince. Lamb would be less suitable because the special flavor would be drowned by the sambal.

I have not eaten sambal in Indonesia (Bali or Jakarta) because I don't recall seeing it on a menu. My experience of restaurant served sambal is from Malaysia or Singapore, both of which were prawns.

My first experience of sambal udang was prepared by an Indian chef (Ghazali) in the Shangri-La Hotel in Kuala Lumpur. He would oblige me by removing the heads and shells of the prawns and serving it with French bread.

Last edited:
I have not eaten sambal in Indonesia (Bali or Jakarta) because I don't recall seeing it on a menu. My experience of restaurant served sambal is from Malaysia or Singapore, both of which were prawns.
Interesting, it's one of the most important traditional Indonesian foods.
Sambal udang is prawn sambal, but more common varieties are sambal oelek,sambal badjak and sambal peteh. But there's so many types I can't possibly name all of them.
Every family has their own recipe too.
Sambal goreng boentjis ( beans) , sambal udang( prawn) sambal goreng kentang ( potato) are all staple dishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom