What did you cook or eat today (March 2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
JAS_OH1 ya know, I've never made my own Fried Shrimp before, I wonder how it would do in the Air Fryer?

My thoughts are this: you can save a few calories by using an air fryer but prawns are really low calorie anyway so is it worth worrying about? I'm sure they can be done in an air fryer though. But perhaps you are not wanting to air fry to save calories anyway.

JAS_OH1 ya know, I've never made my own Fried Shrimp before, I wonder how it would do in the Air Fryer?
The thing with the air fryer is, it does make crispy food, but often it is dry from the lack of oil (I am sure you already know this). I think it would make great crunchy shrimp, but would be best if you sprayed it with some canola oil before air frying. I bread my own shrimp and I always let it sit a bit before frying to make sure that the breading adheres properly to the shrimp. I used a buttermilk/egg/lemon pepper egg wash and breaded in a mix of panko and plain breadcrumbs.

My thoughts are this: you can save a few calories by using an air fryer but prawns are really low calorie anyway so is it worth worrying about? I'm sure they can be done in an air fryer though. But perhaps you are not wanting to air fry to save calories anyway.
I agree. I made sure my breading was rather thin and the shrimp were fried in canola oil at a high temperature, so they were not oily at all. I marinated the shrimp in the egg wash mixture and only dipped in the breading once. Hubby had cocktail sauce. I usually make tartar sauce but last night I ate them plain mostly, I dipped a few of them in my cheese sauce, LOL. They were quite flavorful without any sauce.

My goal lately has been to cut back on as much fat and oils as I can, more for health than calorie reduction 🧑‍⚕️
And fried foods are my kryptonite! The Air Fryer has become my friend.
And I LOVE to dip, any thing I can... I have a recipe for Asian style Tartar Sauce just haven't gotten to it yet.

My goal lately has been to cut back on as much fat and oils as I can, more for health than calorie reduction 🧑‍⚕️
And fried foods are my kryptonite! The Air Fryer has become my friend.
And I LOVE to dip, any thing I can... I have a recipe for Asian style Tartar Sauce just haven't gotten to it yet.
Well, the tartar sauce I make (mayo, pickle relish) certainly is a high fat, high oil condiment. Hoping your Asian style tartar sauce is not! I am also cutting back a little on fat and oils because of my gall bladder surgery (two weeks ago Monday). I don't think last night's dinner was a deal breaker since I skipped the dipping condiment. If I had used my air fryer, I am afraid the shrimp would have been so dry I would have been forced to use some sort of dipping sauce :thumbsdown:

Pics please? I had 1 portion last night and froze another 3.
Our friend cheryl has twin daughters both are chefs. :)

Russ
I'll try to remember to take photos. It's 5 pm here, I probably will start building it around 8 and bake it around 9 so we will eat around 10 or later.

I'll try to remember to take photos. It's 5 pm here, I probably will start building it around 8 and bake it around 9 so we will eat around 10 or later.
Wow that's late. We always ate around 6ish to let contents of stomach to digest
Dont go to bed with a full guts?

Russ

Well, the tartar sauce I make (mayo, pickle relish) certainly is a high fat, high oil condiment. Hoping your Asian style tartar sauce is not! I am also cutting back a little on fat and oils because of my gall bladder surgery (two weeks ago Monday). I don't think last night's dinner was a deal breaker since I skipped the dipping condiment. If I had used my air fryer, I am afraid the shrimp would have been so dry I would have been forced to use some sort of dipping sauce :thumbsdown:
Here's a photo of my air fryer (left) on the counter right next to my old toaster oven (now retired):
1646345652392.png

Here is a link to a thread about air fryers:
Air fryer cooking

Wow that's late. We always ate around 6ish to let contents of stomach to digest
Dont go to bed with a full guts?

Russ
No, I don't go to sleep with a full stomach, usually. We stay up for a few hours after we eat. When the kids were still at home, we ate earlier (around 6), also when we were both working, we ate earlier (around 8). Hubby is on a work hiatus and I am working very part time now, so no set schedule.

I think some people in Europe eat as late as midnight? Spain, maybe? Seems like I read that somewhere.

Yeah, I remember you posting the pizza dough photos, what, was that yesterday or the day before? I figured you were going to eat pizza everyday while she was gone!
I have two to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom