What did you cook or eat today (March 2023)?

Midwestern hot dish tater tot casserole. Craig got to it before I could take a picture. It's got browned ground beef, onions, garlic, mushrooms, thyme, parm cheese, flour, milk and chicken broth, flour using beef grease to make a roux, then milk and broth to make a gravy, with frozen corn and green peas scattered on top of meat mixture, then the tater tots on top. It's either an ATK or Cook's Country recipe from last Saturday's TV line up.

It was good, but I will make some tweaks next time by adding some worchestershire, replacing some of the milk and chicken broth with beef broth, and using more garlic. Craig got seconds, added some worchestershire and said it was a lot better.
20230322_183318.jpg

D269E6B1-DB92-47FA-84AC-9CCDE21860E3.jpeg

The latest ground beef packaging. The supermarket typically has 3 pound packs of ground beef. Now, each pound is separated in the same pack. The rate per pound is cheaper than it would be if you bought 1 pound by itself. Previously, I either had to cook the entire 3 pounds, or I would cook what I needed, and then forget that I put the rest in the freezer. Now, I can cook 1 pound at a time.

Last edited:
I was watching two You Tube videos (both folks in New York) on Stromboli and they simply fold the loaded dough in thirds ... I was taught by my in-laws in Philadelphia, where this dish originated, to roll it as tightly as you can - I almost made it.
Either way, it was delicious! And we have probably 1/3 of it leftover - it's not terrible cold :thumbsup:

I was watching two You Tube videos (both folks in New York) on Stromboli and they simply fold the loaded dough in thirds ... I was taught by my in-laws in Philadelphia, where this dish originated, to roll it as tightly as you can - I almost made it.
Either way, it was delicious! And we have probably 1/3 of it leftover - it's not terrible cold :thumbsup:

I don't think I had stromboli back when I lived in the burbs of Philly... but I ate a lot of Pork Roll. :D

CD

Dinner last night was pan-seared pork chops (seasoned with my house blend seasoning and poultry seasoning), sauerkraut, onions, potatoes, fennel seeds, caraway seeds, and pork gravy. Simmered till potatoes, and pork, is tender.

pork_chops_sauerkraut_032223_img_0796-jpg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom