What did you cook or eat today (March 2024)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you are okay!!!

I have had their gyros before and like a lot of chains, some locations do it better than others. Mine were comped by the company I was working for at the time so no out of pocket expense...but that does seem rather pricey. I think these days often it's the drinks that are the biggest cost. I tend to stick with water, but I honestly like water better than soft drinks overall (unless you put rum in my Coke).
l patronize fast food restaurants so seldom that I lose touch with what they do. I think I will patronize them even less. I remember when I could buy a hamburger, fries and a drink for $1 at a fast food restaurant so the inflation seems more severe to old timers like me, I think. We don't eat beef because of my wife's allergy to it but I can make a pork burger for about $1 that is superior to anything these people sell. And I don't have to drive anywhere to get it.

I had lunch by myself outside today so went to a Chinese restaurant:

Dumplings with vinegar and chili:

IMG_5350.jpg

Yang Zhou Fried Rice:

IMG_5351.jpg

So last night it was already 6pm and I was wondering what to eat while peeling 1 kg of garlic for some Indian Garlic Pickle. Time passed...
Chopped up some cherry tomatoes, a clove of garlic, some fresh bocconcini (mini mozarella), some olives and some basil leaves, added olive oil and left it to marinate. About 8pm, I cooked up some rigatoni, then added the (raw) sauce to the pan once the rigatoni was cooked. MypinchofItaly will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the technique is called "stracciata"( something like pulled, or stretched?).
View attachment 111286
That looks like a whole pile of cheese, but actually it was very little, grated with the microplane.

I like it very much your Rigatoni dish!
Not sure about the name “stracciata”, it usually refers to cheese like burrata that you stretch on the plate.
However I think you refer to the raw ingredients on pasta, in this case the technique is called “Crudaiola”, from the Italian word “Crudo”, i.e. raw, precisely when you add a raw condiment to the cooked pasta.

Last edited:
Our hospitals here in Akron actually have pretty decent cafeteria food. The one my FIL and MIL have been in and out of the past year has a Panera in the wing where the surgery facility is located.
Yeah, this place is like a resort, there’s even a full gym in here. The cafeteria isn’t bad at all, and none of the eggs or hot sandwiches are made ahead, it’s all made to order “right in fronahya! (to quote Danny Devito).” :laugh:

It’s all made to order “right in fronahya! (to quote Danny Devito).” :laugh:
You know, Jersey Mike gave him an apron but I've yet to see him making sandwiches. They'd probably have to give him a stepstool so he could see and work over the sandwich board. They might also need him to shave his arms so none of that arm hair ends up in the food...

Did not cook much or take too many pictures, loaded week, but this one was a winner. Beans stew. It is considered a traditional dish here in Croatia, albeit with sausage in it. I used a home made bacon, that a friend of my boyfriend's had made. Delicious. Although I cooked it while working online, it came out very good.
20240321_104256.jpg

20240321_121508.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom