What did you cook or eat today (March 2024)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did not cook much or take too many pictures, loaded week, but this one was a winner. Beans stew. It is considered a traditional dish here in Croatia, albeit with sausage in it. I used a home made bacon, that a friend of my boyfriend's had made. Delicious. Although I cooked it while working online, it came out very good.
View attachment 111333
View attachment 111335

OMG 😍 Looks fantastic!
In Italy we have something similar called “Fagioli con le Cotiche” i.e. Beans with Pork Rinds.
I honestly prefer your version with bacon

I only have spelt spaghetti in the pantry (need to do some shopping urgently) that I cooked with cime di rapa (turnip tops), anchovy, chilli pepper and garlic

IMG_4337.jpeg

Later on today I am going to use the leftover seafood mixture (which is mostly crab meat) to make crepes.

I've been doing a really good job at using up some of the food in my freezer. I had some large bags of mixed berries in the freezer that I turned into compote for a large batch of banana oatmeal pancakes I made for my inlaws. I saved a little of it but sent the rest to them with the pancakes. I am resisting the temptation to do much shopping, at least frozen food items. But there haven't been any good meat sales lately anyway. Waiting for chicken to go on sale though. We are out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I got all the ingredients to make a mixed nut butter. It will have peanuts in it, along with cashews and pecans (all unsalted--I can add salt after). I was looking at a jar of regular peanut butter the other day and was astounded at the amount of sugar in it! The no sugar added peanut butter is very expensive, which I don't get at all.

I don't love peanut butter anyway. I'm making it for my nephew's wife as she has gestational diabetes. I think the cashews and pecans will add some natural sweetness. I have some Swerve on hand just in case. I may or may not add a touch of toasted sesame oil.
20240323_161937.jpg

Well I got all the ingredients to make a mixed nut butter. It will have peanuts in it, along with cashews and pecans (all unsalted--I can add salt after). I was looking at a jar of regular peanut butter the other day and was astounded at the amount of sugar in it! The no sugar added peanut butter is very expensive, which I don't get at all.

I don't love peanut butter anyway. I'm making it for my nephew's wife as she has gestational diabetes. I think the cashews and pecans will add some natural sweetness. I have some Swerve on hand just in case. I may or may not add a touch of toasted sesame oil.
View attachment 111358
Now thats my kind of experimental kitchen! Look forward to the results!

Pain aux Raisin and Cinnamon swirls for breakfast for the for gluten eaters.
Chicken chasseur and roasted mushrooms for Lunch and my favourite..
Chocolate orange for my dinner (everyone else had chicken sandwiches).

I tried out a tip I saw on YouTube where you slow cook (or poach) your chicken and use a hand mixer on a slow speed to shred it. I can't believe how well it worked, 8 chicken thighs shredded in seconds, no achey hands from prolonged two fork action 😂

Now thats my kind of experimental kitchen! Look forward to the results!
Well that worked a treat!

I tared my kitchen scale with my measuring cup and used 4oz (weight) of peanuts and pulsed in the food processor until roughly ground, then added 2 oz cashews and 2 oz pecans. I pulsed until smooth. Amazing how I needed no added oils, the food processor naturally extracted the oils from the nuts. The cashews did as I expected and gave it a hint of sweetness and the pecans added a buttery quality. I only added .25 tsp of salt and it was perfect.
20240323_161910.jpg
20240323_170554.jpg
20240323_170610.jpg
20240323_170635.jpg

20240323_172923.jpg

Last edited:
Well that worked a treat!

I tared my kitchen scale with my measuring cup and used 4oz (weight) of peanuts and pulsed in the food processor until roughly ground, then added 2 oz cashews and 2 oz pecans. I pulsed until smooth. Amazing how I needed no added oils, the food processor naturally extracted the oils from the nuts. The cashews did as I expected and gave it a hint of sweetness and the pecans added a buttery quality. I only added .25 tsp of salt and it was perfect.
View attachment 111359View attachment 111360View attachment 111361View attachment 111362
View attachment 111363
How satisfying!

How satisfying!
Yes, now I need to figure out how to make the mixed no sugar added nut-butter cookies. I had found some recipes using sugar substitute with commercially sold peanut butter, but the problem is, my nut butter is oddly a little thinner than store-bought peanut butter. Considering I added no oils to it I found this interesting. I did put it in the refrigerator so hopefully that will help it come together a little more, but then when baking it's going to melt. I saw a few different recipes for sugar-free nut butter cookies and one of them was no flour added, which is great since white flour adds carbs that converts to sugar, but then the cookies may be thin and oily. So maybe a bit of almond flour to thicken it up to keep that from happening? I will have to play around with this a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom