What did you cook or eat today (March 2024)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taco Tuesday, which is today for me, because I said so.
20240323_193849.jpg

Yes, now I need to figure out how to make the mixed no sugar added nut-butter cookies. I had found some recipes using sugar substitute with commercially sold peanut butter, but the problem is, my nut butter is oddly a little thinner than store-bought peanut butter. Considering I added no oils to it I found this interesting. I did put it in the refrigerator so hopefully that will help it come together a little more, but then when baking it's going to melt. I saw a few different recipes for sugar-free nut butter cookies and one of them was no flour added, which is great since white flour adds carbs that converts to sugar, but then the cookies may be thin and oily. So maybe a bit of almond flour to thicken it up to keep that from happening? I will have to play around with this a bit.
I might be tempted to heat some in a pan first to see how reacts. Some nut butters seem to thicken and stiffen a sauce above its own original consistency.

I've added a type of peanut butter to a runny sauce on more than one occasion and found it's thickened it to way beyond the original 'runnyness' when heated.
Some science stuff going on there no doubt 😆

I might be tempted to heat some in a pan first to see how reacts. Some nut butters seem to thicken and stiffen a sauce above its own original consistency.

I've added a type of peanut butter to a runny sauce on more than one occasion and found it's thickened it to way beyond the original 'runnyness' when heated.
Some science stuff going on there no doubt 😆
I agree, but the one specific recipe I was looking at only called for nut butter, sugar substitute, and egg. No flour or thickeners. It is a good idea to do that tester, however. I'll give that a try to see and can always throw in a TBSP (or 2) of almond flour if that "flops" lol.

I am pretty sure there are some thickening agents in most commercial nut butters.

Last night we had seafood crepes filled with mahi mahi, sea scallops pieces, snow crab, sauteed cremini mushrooms, yellow bell pepper, and roasted garlic. I made a Cajun cream sauce to drizzle over the top. No pics but it was delicious.

I had some crepe batter leftover so this morning I made an omelet filled with ham, onion, jalapeño, cremini mushrooms, spinach, and cheese, then made a crepe and put the omelet inside of it. Different and very tasty. Hubby and I shared. In case you were wondering, I purposely didn't brown my crepe for the breakfast dish.

20240324_134753.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom