What did you cook or eat today (May 2020)?

The Staub skillet cost me about £40 ($50). I only have one such skillet because I tend to only serve up for one person.

Last edited:
The Staub skillet cost me about £40 ($50). I only have one such skillet because I tend to only serve up for one person.

Mine were Lodge cast iron off Amazon, $7.99 each, might have been $6.99, one or the other. We quite often order skillet breakfasts when we go out so I thought we could replicate at home.

We took the plunge and had our first takeaway meal. It was kind of a bust, actually.

The place is right up around the corner from our house, about a five minutes' drive, a little rural bar and grill.

First, when we called, they tried to take our payment over the phone, but she couldn't get it to work, so she said I'd have to come in and swipe my card.

I got there, went inside, and sticking the card in the machine didn't work. It tried to process and took four or five minutes to clear, so I tried another card, then I tried swiping it on the side of the machine instead of sticking it in the bottom, and it finally worked. That took a good 10 minutes, and the food sure wasn't getting any warmer, and the whole time, all I'm wanting to do is just get out of there. I was to the point of just leaving when it finally did work.

The place sits at an intersection, and the 10 minutes it took to get the food, a giant RV crashed at the intersection, blocking traffic in all directions, so I had to drive through a garden shed seller to bypass the intersection, and he happened to be out and gave me the finger for cutting through his gravel lot (like I was going to wait god knows how long for the accident to clear).

Then I got home and put the food bag with the containers in the sink, washed my hands, threw out the bag, opened the first container, washed my hands again since I'd touched the containers, and then the breeze blew the container back shut, so I had to wash my hands again, then got the first plate of food ready, then opened the second container, washed my hands again, plated that food, and sure enough, we specifically said to leave all the lettuce and that stuff off, but it was all in there.

Then, because I was rushing since the food was getting even colder, and I was rattled from all the container shenanigans, I opened the ketchup too fast and it sprayed all over everything, making a giant mess that I had to stop and clean up.

So our first restaurant food in nearly two months were ice cold burgers and fries. I told MrsTasty this is the first and last time I'm doing that. It's just not worth the trouble and the stress. :headshake:

We took the plunge and had our first takeaway meal. It was kind of a bust, actually.

The place is right up around the corner from our house, about a five minutes' drive, a little rural bar and grill.

First, when we called, they tried to take our payment over the phone, but she couldn't get it to work, so she said I'd have to come in and swipe my card.

I got there, went inside, and sticking the card in the machine didn't work. It tried to process and took four or five minutes to clear, so I tried another card, then I tried swiping it on the side of the machine instead of sticking it in the bottom, and it finally worked. That took a good 10 minutes, and the food sure wasn't getting any warmer, and the whole time, all I'm wanting to do is just get out of there. I was to the point of just leaving when it finally did work.

The place sits at an intersection, and the 10 minutes it took to get the food, a giant RV crashed at the intersection, blocking traffic in all directions, so I had to drive through a garden shed seller to bypass the intersection, and he happened to be out and gave me the finger for cutting through his gravel lot (like I was going to wait god knows how long for the accident to clear).

Then I got home and put the food bag with the containers in the sink, washed my hands, threw out the bag, opened the first container, washed my hands again since I'd touched the containers, and then the breeze blew the container back shut, so I had to wash my hands again, then got the first plate of food ready, then opened the second container, washed my hands again, plated that food, and sure enough, we specifically said to leave all the lettuce and that stuff off, but it was all in there.

Then, because I was rushing since the food was getting even colder, and I was rattled from all the container shenanigans, I opened the ketchup too fast and it sprayed all over everything, making a giant mess that I had to stop and clean up.

So our first restaurant food in nearly two months were ice cold burgers and fries. I told MrsTasty this is the first and last time I'm doing that. It's just not worth the trouble and the stress. :headshake:
I know we are supposed to supporting the locals during this, the best I have done is carry out pizza and wings. Under normal circumstances there is an art, at least to me, in bringing home carry out food and maintaining the quality. I feel your pain - pour yourself a drink!

Lots of eating going on here this weekend as it’s turned cold. Need to eat a salad soon I think 😂 or make some light soups.

Pork osso bucco with salsa verde, gnocchi dI Gorgonzola, home made sour dough bread, gnocchi with butter, garlic & parsley and some grated Parmesan. There was a little rocket salad with lemon and marinated artichokes in oil but they didn’t make it into the shot.

Back
Top Bottom