What did you cook or eat today (May 2020)?

I am up at the top of Denmark at a summerhouse and spring is really in the air so I made a spring risotto. Difference is was quite a lot of courgette, not that much rice, using lemon zest and a lot of thyme - and no cheese- Was a lovely spring fresh taste.
1588488000709.png

Cinnamon Danish and tea.View attachment 40291
Hi Windigo,
There is a good hairy bikers show where the tour NL and on the tour they visit a shop and they make something similar and then talk of how historically the Dutch basically controlled all spices coming into Europe and hence the pastry was loaded with cinnemon - and when I worked in NL you'd see these- What I find interesting is you call them Danish! Here that is called a kanel snegl!!!

Hi Windigo,
There is a good hairy bikers show where the tour NL and on the tour they visit a shop and they make something similar and then talk of how historically the Dutch basically controlled all spices coming into Europe and hence the pastry was loaded with cinnemon - and when I worked in NL you'd see these- What I find interesting is you call them Danish! Here that is called a kanel snegl!!!

We call them ' Deense koffie broodjes' which means Danish coffee bun. There's several varieties, the more traditional one is with raisins and icing. As far as I know they're not originally Dutch but are an adapted version of your Danish kanel snegl.

Mine were Lodge cast iron off Amazon, $7.99 each, might have been $6.99, one or the other. We quite often order skillet breakfasts when we go out so I thought we could replicate at home.

That is really a bargain for Lodge! I'll look at Amazon here as I'd quite like a slightly smaller one for some dishes. I need ones without a long handle, though, so it fits in the halogen oven.

do not mean to be political on a food site but Amazon is a place I never shop from . . met a guy who worked at one of their "fulfillment centres .. " can only be described as modern slavery or simple human rights abuse and I would happily buy from a local store and pay double.

Well, I made (American) biscuits for breakfast this morning, but for whatever reason, they came out like rubber, so I'm onto breakfast (well, brunch now, I guess) plan B, hashbrown casserole, bacon, eggs, and toast.

Recreating our wonderful holiday in Norway last year, smoked salmon and prawn open sandwiches for lunch. I should have charged myself €10 for a small bottle of beer to get the full experience.

I visited Norway a few times in the early 90s. One time in Oslo I took a potential client out to dinner and was presented with the wine list. Bloody frightening!

The cheapest bottle on the list was the equivalent of £ 35.00 but I didn't wish to be considered a cheapskate so I chose the next cheapest - £ 50.00! Luckily my two guests were driving so refused another.

I visited Norway a few times in the early 90s. One time in Oslo I took a potential client out to dinner and was presented with the wine list. Bloody frightening!

The cheapest bottle on the list was the equivalent of £ 35.00 but I didn't wish to be considered a cheapskate so I chose the next cheapest - £ 50.00! Luckily my two guests were driving so refused another.

If I ever mention it, please remind me not to take a holiday in Norway.

Back
Top Bottom