What did you cook or eat today (May 2020)?

Had a shrimp cocktail appetizer last night and salmon with salad for dinner. Forgot to take photo of dinner.

Had the usual fried egg, sausage links, fried potatoes, and toast this morning.

MrsTasty's stomach has been off for the past few days, so this is how this morning's conversation went:

"I know your stomach is off. Anything sound good for breakfast?"

<some thought>

"You know what sounds good? An egg."

"Ok. Soft-boiled? Poached?" <that's me thinking of stomach-friendly egg preps>

"No...fried."

"Fried? Ok..."

"And toast."

"Ok. If I'm making fried eggs, then I'm going to make a sausage for me."

"You're making sausage? Well, then, I'll have a sausage."

"So you want a fried egg and sausage...on your stomach?"

"They're small, I'll just have the one."

<gets out four small sausages>

"Oh, yeah, there's just a small dab of frozen hash browns left, I'll have those for me, just to get rid of the them."

"You're not going to make any for me?"

"It's just a handful. I just want to get rid of them."

"If you're having potatoes, I should get potatoes, too!"

So the single serving of frozen potatoes is still in the freezer, because I had to make enough fried potatoes for both of us...and she took two sausages!

My local fish guy gave me 2 doz oyster and scallop shells for nothing, I just had to ask and wait a week or so.

Russ
We have a little fresh seas food shop in town. Guy works himself to death. He will cook it for you to go or you can buy fresh. He just opened back up this week. Always gives the customer great service. I went to pick up fish for tacos. Said I didn’t know what fish would be vest. He gave me flounder. Won’t make fish tacos without flounder again. Makes great gumbo. Give him a hard time about a Vietnamese guy making the best Cajun gumbo around.

We have a little fresh seas food shop in town. Guy works himself to death. He will cook it for you to go or you can buy fresh. He just opened back up this week. Always gives the customer great service. I went to pick up fish for tacos. Said I didn’t know what fish would be vest. He gave me flounder. Won’t make fish tacos without flounder again. Makes great gumbo. Give him a hard time about a Vietnamese guy making the best Cajun gumbo around.

Vietnamese/Cajun "fusion" is a big trend in Houston. A lot of Vietnamese settled in SE Texas after the war. My hometown is easily one-third Vietnamese now. The food merged, and it is apparently very good. It is called "Viet-Cajun" food.

The 11 Best Places to Get Viet-Cajun Crawfish in Houston

CD

You could make a tongue twister out of that one. She sold scallop shells since she said she sold out of scallops.

I used a feminine pronoun just for the "s".

Had the usual fried egg, sausage links, fried potatoes, and toast this morning.

MrsTasty's stomach has been off for the past few days, so this is how this morning's conversation went:

"I know your stomach is off. Anything sound good for breakfast?"

<some thought>

"You know what sounds good? An egg."

"Ok. Soft-boiled? Poached?" <that's me thinking of stomach-friendly egg preps>

"No...fried."

"Fried? Ok..."

"And toast."

"Ok. If I'm making fried eggs, then I'm going to make a sausage for me."

"You're making sausage? Well, then, I'll have a sausage."

"So you want a fried egg and sausage...on your stomach?"

"They're small, I'll just have the one."

<gets out four small sausages>

"Oh, yeah, there's just a small dab of frozen hash browns left, I'll have those for me, just to get rid of the them."

"You're not going to make any for me?"

"It's just a handful. I just want to get rid of them."

"If you're having potatoes, I should get potatoes, too!"

So the single serving of frozen potatoes is still in the freezer, because I had to make enough fried potatoes for both of us...and she took two sausages!

Love it!

And that's exactly what we had for breakfast, fried eggs and sausage. We had toast also and the sausage was a patty instead of a link, and I cooked. Not sure if my husband knows how to cook an egg over easy? I know he can scramble them, but it's been a long time (maybe 10 years or more) since he cooked eggs. Hash browns would have been a nice addition, we had some in the freezer but I didn't even think about it. If there was only enough for one serving and you just wanted to get rid of them, why didn't you just cook them for her and take just a bite? Just sayin'.

My husband and his cousins made sausage last week. We have 10 pounds in the freezer. I had them make ours with no casings so I molded the sausage into a patty. We had some biscuits with sausage gravy for breakfast yesterday. I made the biscuits from scratch, none of those canned things for me. None of it looked pretty enough for photos but it sure tasted good.

If there was only enough for one serving and you just wanted to get rid of them, why didn't you just cook them for her and take just a bite? Just sayin'.
Do you remember the tagline from the old Lay's potato chip commercials? "Betcha can't eat just one!"

There is no "just a bite" with fried potatoes!

There was a song for Lay's potato chips and the catch phrase was: "No one can eat just one".

But I defer pretty regularly to hubby when it comes to food, and I will cook him whatever he wants breakfast even when I am going to eat yogurt and berries or something else entirely. So yeah, I would give him the hashbrowns and maybe just take a taste...or not. Poor Mrs. Tasty:headshake:

Just kidding, of course. I know she gets to eat a lot of good food because of your love of cooking. Does she cook as well?

Back
Top Bottom