What did you cook or eat today (May 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And...a flop.

Deeelicious, but a flop.
So🤷...more attempts...😊
Did they break getting them off the foil? If so, did you spray with oil?

Also, you might try putting them over an oven safe custard type bowl after greasing/buttering well. Let them cool for 10-15 minutes before trying to remove either way.

Craig's was over $700 just for the ER when he went in as instructed by thd doc because of erroneous lab work.
The last time we were at the ER, the only thing that saved us for bearing the entire $3,700 cost was that the insurance company's own nurse said that we needed to get to the ER immediately: "Don't call the ambulance, but don't have breakfast first, either. You need to go now."

Turned out it wasn't anything abnormal, and the insurance balked at paying out. Thank god I had the name of the nurse and the date and time we talked, and how much you want to bet that nurse got a talking-to over it. Even then, we were still out $700 or so.

Note how this time, the insurance nurse said, "Go to Urgent Care" - cheaper than ER. :laugh:

The last time we were at the ER, the only thing that saved us for bearing the entire $3,700 cost was that the insurance company's own nurse said that we needed to get to the ER immediately: "Don't call the ambulance, but don't have breakfast first, either. You need to go now."

Turned out it wasn't anything abnormal, and the insurance balked at paying out. Thank god I had the name of the nurse and the date and time we talked, and how much you want to bet that nurse got a talking-to over it. Even then, we were still out $700 or so.

Note how this time, the insurance nurse said, "Go to Urgent Care" - cheaper than ER. :laugh:
Sorry, but I still can't understand why so many Americans think that universal healthcare is such a bad idea.

Anyway, back to cooking.

Chorizo and bean stew with flatbreads.

Yeah, but craig's was potentially lifethreatening, as in cardiac arrhythmia inducing. However, next time, if there is one, I'll be asking g a few more questions after what ER doc told me.

Sorry, but I still can't understand why so many Americans think that universal healthcare is such a bad idea.
I can take a pretty good stab at that:

1. Without the obscene profits prevalent in our healthcare system, there would be no innovation. We're actually doing the world a benefit by having wildly rampant healthcare costs.

2. In this world, to the victor go the spoils, and the successful deserve the best of everything. Universal healthcare would take money away from the haves and redistribute it to the have-nots, rewarding them for their obviously lazy approach toward life in general. If someone wants better healthcare, then they should just make more money and pay for it...simple!

That's the prevailing attitude I'm always faced with.

Anyway, we had this snack:

The focaccia is homemade, fresh this morning.

Well, I'll try to keep it short, but it came down to deep bruising along her side, pulled/strained muscles, possible small fracture rib(s), and (of all things) eating unhealthy food in abundance over the last several days (that's my fault, I'm the chef).

They didn't delve further into the ribs because the doc said that even if they tested further and definitively diagnosed fractures, the treatment would be the same, so they didn't test for that.

Treatment is, stay off your feet (but get up and move around some, too), Tylenol, prescription muscle relaxers, and OTC lidocaine patch over the affected area.

Went in at 6PM, got home at 1AM. She doesn't normally eat lunch, so her last meal was at 10AM. Thankfully, I had my greasy fish, so I was in better shape than she was that way, but still hungry by the time we got home.

Home at 1AM, got things squared away and in bed at 1:30AM...and I had to get up for work at 3AM and haven't been to sleep yet, so we're neither one in a good mood right now.

Thankfully, though, it wasn't anything worse. Now we get to look forward to a fight with the insurance company when they tell us they're not paying because it wasn't an emergency. She had two rounds of lab work for blood, two CT scans (with and without contrast), plus the room fee, doctor's fee, etc...I don't even want to know what that bill is going to be. 💰 💰 💰

Her ribs may be fractured, or just bruised. Hurts the same either way -- I know from experience. There isn't a lot you can do for the pain, other than the usual pain killers, and trying not to aggravate it. Sleeping is not easy.

Best part of this is that she gets to eat your cooking instead of hospital food. So, on topic, what did you feed your pain stricken wife?

CD

I had left over pizza sauce from my original recipe for Dish Sopressata Pizza Pie and made another pizza for today's meal.

View attachment 62470

This pizza was fantastic the first time and fantastic, the second time.

Having mastered a good basic pizza crust, I will no longer buy Boboli crusts for pizzas. Instead, I may make alterations and improvements on the basic crust I used for this pizza.

Sorry to hear all this. I've never had any issue getting BCBS to pay for ER fees. They even paid for the ambulance, which I thought was a service covered by all the taxes we pay.

I wonder if my insurance will cover the anxiety I am experiencing waiting for MG to pounce on this group of off-topic posts. :wink:

CD

Sorry to hear all this. I've never had any issue getting BCBS to pay for ER fees. They even paid for the ambulance, which I thought was a service covered by all the taxes we pay.

I wonder if my insurance will cover the anxiety I am experiencing waiting for MG to pounce on this group of off-topic posts. :wink:

CD
It is, if you don't have insurance. If you do, they bill your insurance, which only pays part of it, just like with any other healthcare cost.

The US basically funds R&D costs for the entire world. Why do you think a pill can cost $100 plus here and only a couple of bucks elsewhere in the world.

The Velvet Curtain , to add to what TR wrote, people have also been fooled into believing there will be death panels, where a group of people will decide who gets care and whether you are too old, too sick, undeserving, etc. Thing is, there are already panels in managed care and have been for 30 plus years, i.e. especially with HMO plans, that decide whether the tests, meds, procedures your doctor orders are appropriate and if they meet standard of care. If the panels feel your doc is in the wrong, you have to fight like he// to get something covered or pay out of pocket.

Our muffaletta sammie is made, wrapped and weighted, and our dessert is in the fridge cooling off. Craig gets the left over cappy, provolone and sopressata for lunch meats. Plus some giardinieria if he wants to add some healthiness. There's enough of that left for at least 1 more, if not 2 muffalettas.

Last edited:
Did they break getting them off the foil? If so, did you spray with oil?

Also, you might try putting them over an oven safe custard type bowl after greasing/buttering well. Let them cool for 10-15 minutes before trying to remove either way.
Yes, they did. Yes, lots of oil. That bowl is a good idea! I think I let them cool...they were not warm to touch any more...but anyways, just baked the rest to eat for late dinner, even if in crumbs, or for tmorrow morning...🤷

It more resembles a cheesake crust than a pie crust...perhaps I could have used forms that need no take out?🤔

Orjust different pastry recipe...or different boat...will see tmorrow...

Thank you, that was sweet of you💙

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom