What did you cook or eat today (May 2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pan-seared filet mignon and salad. Fantastic!

Lunch was at a suspect little German place in Abbotstown, PA. Turns out, don’t judge a book buy its cover, and give a restaurant a fair shake as well, as we had one of the best meals, regardless of cuisines, we’ve ever had, and some of the best, friendliness service:

I had the “knackwurst sub” with a side of cold potato salad:

My wife had a wiener schnitzel sandwich, with potato dumplings:

Finished with Black Forest cake, which is so easy to do half-assed; this one was a reminder of how special it can be when it’s done with some care:

The cake was extremely moist and rich. The waitress came out and asked how it was, and we told her it was among the best we’d had, and she broke out in a big smile and said, “I had to ask…because I made that cake!”

Even something as simple as the bread was phenomenal. Also, at one point, the cook (who was 80yo if she was a day) came out and asked how we were doing as well. Very appreciated.

I’ll post pics in a bit of the restaurant and menu.

Lunch was at a suspect little German place in Abbotstown, PA. Turns out, don’t judge a book buy its cover, and give a restaurant a fair shake as well, as we had one of the best meals, regardless of cuisines, we’ve ever had, and some of the best, friendliness service:

I had the “knackwurst sub” with a side of cold potato salad:
View attachment 85524

My wife had a wiener schnitzel sandwich, with potato dumplings:
View attachment 85525
View attachment 85526

Finished with Black Forest cake, which is so easy to do half-assed; this one was a reminder of how special it can be when it’s done with some care:
View attachment 85527

The cake was extremely moist and rich. The waitress came out and asked how it was, and we told her it was among the best we’d had, and she broke out in a big smile and said, “I had to ask…because I made that cake!”

Even something as simple as the bread was phenomenal. Also, at one point, the cook (who was 80yo if she was a day) came out and asked how we were doing as well. Very appreciated.

I’ll post pics in a bit of the restaurant and menu.
The potato salad looks a little weird I think, did it taste OK?

Lunch was at a restaurant we found a while back, catering for all but including loads of vegan options, either totally vegan or a way of making almost everything vegan...

Totally forgot to ask for no cream on the cake. She'd remembered and done whipped soy cream for both of us, laughing that she knew and I didn't need to ask anymore!

Normally it is a buzzer and collect from the counter, but with hubby off his feet (and on 2 crutches with no weight at all on 1 foot) and me using 1 crutch as well, they very kindly bright it to our take for us. Just getting water for us had taken me 2 trips (one for the bottle & 1 for 2 very carefully balanced glasses! ).

I totally forgot to photo hubby's lunch. We'd tried to get it before but it was previously on the breakfast menu, but it has now officially been moved to the lunch menu, so he was able to have (vegan) bangers & mash which he really enjoyed.

That’s what I thought! When she brought it out, I thought, “Uh-oh, that looks like crap!”

I stuck my finger just barely on the outside of a potato chunk and tasted it…WOW! I immediately told my wife, who’s a potato salad connoisseur, to try it and she thought it was because of how bad it would be, but she thought it was fantastic.

I had to laugh, because we were talking with the server, and she mentioned she was expecting her regular, and older fellow, and he was late, so she was getting worried, and then he popped in.

After he sat down, we started talking to him, and he eats there every day for lunch and gets the same thing each time: four potato dumplings! :laugh:

That’s what I thought! When she brought it out, I thought, “Uh-oh, that looks like crap!”

I stuck my finger just barely on the outside of a potato chunk and tasted it…WOW! I immediately told my wife, who’s a potato salad connoisseur, to try it and she thought it was because of how bad it would be, but she thought it was fantastic.

I had to laugh, because we were talking with the server, and she mentioned she was expecting her regular, and older fellow, and he was late, so she was getting worried, and then he popped in.

After he sat down, we started talking to him, and he eats there every day for lunch and gets the same thing each time: four potato dumplings! :laugh:
Glad that looks don't always count!

I know that's often true anyway.. I rather eat crappy looking flavor bombs than neatly designed flavorless ' haute cuisine ' .

I thought that too.

What did it consist of? It looks sort of 'sloppy'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom