What did you cook or eat today (November 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cooking Scampi alla Busara

Absolutely a favourite fish of mine. Its very 'meaty' and works well in all sorts of dishes. I use it in curry sometimes. One thing to know is that there is a tough membrane which has to be removed. A good fishmonger will have done that but I have on occasion had to do it myself.
I have enough experience with fish to thankfully have figured that out. At least it didn't have a deep blood line. The membrane was a bit tricky but I mastered it with a sharp knife and a paper towel. We really enjoyed it!

I totally misread that as

so I got as far as stuffing garlic cloves under the skin of a jalapeno pepper and also stuffing the same said jalapeno with a jalapeno stuffing...

I tried a second time.

think I had better go and get some fresh air!
Okay, so I thought that since turkey was one of the first foods listed it would be easy to follow. I was posting on my phone and I hate typing lengthily on my phone keyboard, so maybe that was part of the problem.

It took nearly a week to thaw that turkey because I left it frozen in an ice chest in my garage and it's rather chilly out there. I moved it inside to the kitchen refrigerator on Sunday. Monday it still had ice crystals, so today I am going to cook it finally.

I will make small incisions in the turkey skin and stuff sliced (lengthwise) raw jalapenos and garlic cloves that are partially cooked but not pasty (easier to get under the skin), then inject the turkey with a butter/garlic/salt mixture and slow roast (I opted not to brine the bird for this reason). I will be stuffing the bird with a jalapeno stuffing as well.

I think that clears it up?

Many years ago it was quite a cheap fish to buy. Then the chefs 'discovered' it and the price rocketed.
Yes not everyone knows about the membrane.
Growing up, we called it “poor Man’s Lobster” which probably had something to do with the little pots of melted butter into which dipped pieces of the fish.

Still eat to this day it when it is available.

Growing up, we called it “poor Man’s Lobster” which probably had something to do with the little pots of melted butter into which dipped pieces of the fish.

Still eat to this day it when it is available.
I read that's a common term when researching it. It does have a dense consistency like lobster and I broiled it in a fashion that I have often done with lobster.

I have been craving a doner kebab for months. I keep getting thwarted by circumstances but last night I asked my iPhone map to find me a kebab as I was standing in front of a closed kebab shop.

Phone came through. 1.5km an open kebab shop. Actually a charcoal chicken shop that offers kebabs.

I had lamb kofta & a friend had cubed lamb.

Both were really good. The kofta were cooked over charcoal and had some crispy malliard going on with soft juicy insides. There was hummus, tomato, onion & pickled turnip in there. The proprietor was lovely, serving us complimentary freshly fried felafel & the place had good seating.

We will certainly go back. It’s an area we go to at least every second week.

However the hunt for the doner continues.

Okay, so I thought that since turkey was one of the first foods listed it would be easy to follow. I was posting on my phone and I hate typing lengthily on my phone keyboard, so maybe that was part of the problem.

It took nearly a week to thaw that turkey because I left it frozen in an ice chest in my garage and it's rather chilly out there. I moved it inside to the kitchen refrigerator on Sunday. Monday it still had ice crystals, so today I am going to cook it finally.

I will make small incisions in the turkey skin and stuff sliced (lengthwise) raw jalapenos and garlic cloves that are partially cooked but not pasty (easier to get under the skin), then inject the turkey with a butter/garlic/salt mixture and slow roast (I opted not to brine the bird for this reason). I will be stuffing the bird with a jalapeno stuffing as well.

I think that clears it up?
my apologies, it wasn't a criticism. I'm certain everyone else will have read it the way you intended. I'm dyslexic and once my mind has read something the way it wants to read it, I often have to do a double check, that sanity check that says they didn't make sense, and have another attempt. I am actually a very slow reader. always have been. it doesn't help even taking it slowly because I just don't see my mistakes until I literally look one word at a time and try again. Hubby reads at twice my speed on his slow days!

(MG usually corrects my really bad posts for me to 'translate' into everybody else's version of English, not helped by my totally random predictive text that gets worse and worse until I fall out with it and reset the dictionary when I remember how to....)

Last edited by a moderator:
Another place I don't think I've posted before:

This is our favorite sandwich place, because everything is made fresh. The fries, for example, they don't even cut the potato until you've placed your order.

You do have to wait a little longer, and you do have to pay a little more, but it's worth it.

Another place I don't think I've posted before:

View attachment 76296

View attachment 76295View attachment 76297
View attachment 76298
View attachment 76299
View attachment 76300

This is our favorite sandwich place, because everything is made fresh. The fries, for example, they don't even cut the potato until you've placed your order.

You do have to wait a little longer, and you do have to pay a little more, but it's worth it.
Tried Penn Station for the first time a few weeks ago - agree its good! Also agree it is a little pricey. A 12 inch Italian and 9 inch Italian plus two drinks cost $27.00 which I though was a bit much. The topper of it all, just as they were finishing making up our sandwiches, another employee walked up to the sandwich making area, reached in the meat bins with no gloves, made himself a sandwich and started eating it right there behind the counter.🤢🤢

If I Had 't already paid, I would have walked out. Well maybe, I would have. Since the whole Covid lockdown / not locked down, I find myself a little more tolerant only because I think Covid has brought out the "crazy" in people and it's not worth the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom