What did you cook or eat today (November 2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

It all depends on your tolerance of chile pepper. I find Kashmiri fairly mild , but you might find it hotter, so next time, as you suggest, just use less.
Our tolerance is high. We eat chilli fresh, dried or powdered regularly. At least 1 meal a day features them, though admittedly we don't eat them for breakfast. Ordinarily we'll order the hot stuff off menus (Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese and even Mexican here in Canberra, Melbourne or Sydney) and staff will check we know it's "hot" yet it isn't hot to us normally.

It is just this chili powder is not mild. And I was under the impression (false impression?) that Kashmiri chilli powder was a mild chilli powder. It even says medium hot on the back of the packet, not mild. It is hotter than the hot chilli powder we normally use a full heaped tsp of in my usual Indian recipe. We're not exactly beginners with chillies but not in Yorky's league either.

Mind you having said all that, I realise, retrospectively, that it could be the 8 red fresh chillies that also went in that were not as mild as they usually are either. It is only 4 servings, but MG's recipe says to add 2 birds eye chillies for 2 servings. Choice was limited at the supermarket last week so I just doubled the chillies up due to their larger size assuming that they were not as spicy hot.

I guess the answer is for hubby to take me out for a meal this weekend to our Vietnamese restaurant and me order their Laksa which is one of their hotter dishes and see how I fair. Good excuse for a meal out. :D

Hubby made waffles this morning! He had some leftover discard from the sourdough starter, and he decided to make waffles with it. They came out really good. No photo, we scarfed them down too quickly.

He’s really surprising me lately - he’s always been a pretty good cook, but he refused to bake for a long time because he never measures anything and doesn’t tend to follow recipes. Now, he’s busy making bread and taking about the sourdough’s hydration and bulk ferments and poolish and so on - never thought I’d see the day!

Partway through breakfast he very sheepishly confessed that he’d measured the ingredients for the waffles by volume instead of weight 😱. And then he told me not to tell anyone, so naturally, here I am telling the entire internet! 😁

(I did tell him I was going to post this and he laughed and said it was ok)

He’s really surprising me lately - he’s always been a pretty good cook, but he refused to bake for a long time because he never measures anything and doesn’t tend to follow recipes. Now, he’s busy making bread and taking about the sourdough’s hydration and bulk ferments and poolish and so on - never thought I’d see the day!
I’ll see him pop up on Breadtopia before too long! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom