What did you cook or eat today (October 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I am making Sarma I bought a whole fermented cabbage from the market along with some smoked neck pork. The butcher minced beef, pork and veal for me.
Separate the big leaves for wrapping. Slice the rest and place half on the bottom of a big pot. Cut the pork into chunks but keeping the neck fillet whole and place on top of the cabbage. Mix the meat with any herbs or spices you fancy and stuff the leaves. Pack into the pot, put the meat chunks on top, cover with the remaining cabbage and a few bay leaves. Add some good chicken stock, put the lid on and cook over a low heat after bringing to the boil.Nb we could never find the whole fermented cabbage in the UK so we made our own. My late Fil Tommo showed me how.I will post pics of the plate tomorrow. If you want to know how to make the fermented cabbage just ask.
View attachment 48548View attachment 48549View attachment 48550View attachment 48551View attachment 48552
Kinda like dolmades?

Russ

Penne alla vodka.

You live well Reuben, but I'm sure you know that. We will be having leftovers. About 6 onion bhagees and lamb cutlets for the wife. Yesterday everyone was full to bursting. Our daughters new partners birthday during the week. When asked choice of entree main and dessert. Nothing fancy, just a BBQ please. Good old kiwi BBQ. We have lamb chops and beef sausages aplenty here. Mash n salads.
Funny thing after everyone was fed, I made up some butter chicken with rice into containers for the freezer. Miss11 watched me and asked for one for her dinner tonight. Seems my butter chicken was a hit. Mr8 Loved it too.

Russ

You live well Reuben, but I'm sure you know that. We will be having leftovers. About 6 onion bhagees and lamb cutlets for the wife. Yesterday everyone was full to bursting. Our daughters new partners birthday during the week. When asked choice of entree main and dessert. Nothing fancy, just a BBQ please. Good old kiwi BBQ. We have lamb chops and beef sausages aplenty here. Mash n salads.
Funny thing after everyone was fed, I made up some butter chicken with rice into containers for the freezer. Miss11 watched me and asked for one for her dinner tonight. Seems my butter chicken was a hit. Mr8 Loved it too.

Russ

The best thing about being able to cook is that you can eat well, even if you don't have a lot of money. I can have a steakhouse quality steak and baked potato for about 15-bucks. That would be about 50 to75-bucks at a good steakhouse.

CD

The best thing about being able to cook is that you can eat well, even if you don't have a lot of money. I can have a steakhouse quality steak and baked potato for about 15-bucks. That would be about 50 to75-bucks at a good steakhouse.

CD

I quite often say to my wife how much per head I just cooked for either us or the family. We often eat nice meals and nutritional as well for like $3 ea. I can feed 4 for like $6
Sausage meat $5
Potatoes $1
Peas $1

We have that often here. A childhood fave of mine. Cheap and yummy. Two ticks.

Those steaks I spoke anoint a few weeks ago. Whole fillet $40 from memory, I got 13 steaks off that about $3 each. We recently had out at restaurant, 27 steps is its name. Same steak $40

Russ

You live well Reuben
Thanks. I don't think you've got it too shabby either! :)

CD
That's exactly right. One thing I'm really glad I can do is cook competently, even if it's just following recipes.

But more to the point, even being able to do something as simple as making an omelette the way you like it, or just making red sauce from canned tomatoes and a pizza dough is a real blessing.

MrsT, the main reason she can't cook is because she doesn't want to cook. She loves good food, don't get me wrong, but she would never have the desire to make anything. She'd save good food for the restaurant and just eat cereal and ice cream at home. She had cereal today for lunch because I wasn't home to fix a meat-and-cheese plate. 🤷🏻‍♂️

My brothers, since the pandemic started, have been proudly posting things like heating up a can of chili, or making toaster waffles, and...sorry, you can't really say you "made" supper when you heated a can of chili.

Don't get me wrong, we all do it from time to time, but it's not really what I'd call cooking, and I'm glad I can cook a bit.

Thanks. I don't think you've got it too shabby either! :)

That's exactly right. One thing I'm really glad I can do is cook competently, even if it's just following recipes.

But more to the point, even being able to do something as simple as making an omelette the way you like it, or just making red sauce from canned tomatoes and a pizza dough is a real blessing.

MrsT, the main reason she can't cook is because she doesn't want to cook. She loves good food, don't get me wrong, but she would never have the desire to make anything. She'd save good food for the restaurant and just eat cereal and ice cream at home. She had cereal today for lunch because I wasn't home to fix a meat-and-cheese plate. 🤷🏻‍♂️

My brothers, since the pandemic started, have been proudly posting things like heating up a can of chili, or making toaster waffles, and...sorry, you can't really say you "made" supper when you heated a can of chili.

Don't get me wrong, we all do it from time to time, but it's not really what I'd call cooking, and I'm glad I can cook a bit.

And to,get s compliment, I asked mr8 just after dinner last night, how's was the butter chicken mate? Reply it was good,real good.
My wife hates cooking too, like your wife she fixes something if I'm not here.

Russ

My wife hates wasting anything, money being her number 1. She loves cooking and most things we eat are a collaboration. 12 years at sea meant she had tasted numerous cuisines either on board or in port. The first half of her career at sea was as assistant maitre d then Maitre d on Celebrity cruise ships and various other.As an Assistant Maitre D her biggest brigade was 150 + wait staff. Her first duty was at 05.30 hrs checking each waiters cleanliness and appearance. On board she could eat anywhere, from the officers mess down. I met and watched many Chef at work onboard. Unless you have witnessed it you would not believe the skills required to produce the quantity of plates for an evening service. My favorite afternoon at sea was in Patisserie with an Austrian head chef. I have always liked to eat out but now when we arrive home the autopsy with coroner Marina causes to much stress.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom