What did you cook or eat today (October 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordered a samosa, coconut prawns and coconut kulfi from a local restaurant. Except from the coconut kulfi which I had never tried and didn’t like this tastes really good. Once again I am on a reading slump and a cooking funk I just don’t feel like cooking. I tried making coconut dulce de leche but misread the recipe and it turned out funny.
A1C4DAED-76BF-4EC9-9B34-426DB1A0E255.jpeg

9E3F3AD1-6D09-482B-839C-9F3AE6B6D118.jpeg

Ok, I'll probably detail the day in the "Plans..." topic, but our first Christmas-themed afternoon tea:

Let's see...turkey sandwiches with cranberry-cream cheese spread, egg mayo croustades, bacon-gruyere-olive palmiers (I'll write those up for the challenge), little mini angel scones (which are yeasted scones), served with spiced whipped cream and plum butter, and cherry-chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting (that's supposed to be a somewhat abstract interpretation of a poinsettia on top), and white-chocolate peppermint truffles.
Lovely. You really need Christmas plates with that though.

Ok, I'll probably detail the day in the "Plans..." topic, but our first Christmas-themed afternoon tea:

Let's see...turkey sandwiches with cranberry-cream cheese spread, egg mayo croustades, bacon-gruyere-olive palmiers (I'll write those up for the challenge), little mini angel scones (which are yeasted scones), served with spiced whipped cream and plum butter, and cherry-chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting (that's supposed to be a somewhat abstract interpretation of a poinsettia on top), and white-chocolate peppermint truffles.
Tasters mate that really is superb, I cant imagine coming back from a walk with the dogs after shooting something (peasant or pheasant) flogging a servant. Then sitting down to your feast. A perfect afternoon in my book. Bravo!

I made my new puff pastry entry. I'll post it in the challenge thread once I get a recipe written -- I made this up, as usual. Beef browned with homemade taco seasoning, beans, sautéed onions, and Monterey Jack cheese.

Puff Pastry Burrito. It's out there, but it actually tastes really good. It was huge, so I only ate half. I can warm the other half up in the oven tomorrow.

PuffBurrito001.jpg

CD

Leftovers. Salad chicken kebabs and mash spuds. None left now. My friend who called in today has recently moved into his own unit at a rest home. He told me he was struggling with life. We talked and we're going out later in the week. I gave him two red Thai curries to take home and s meal of corned beef and carrots and cabbage. Went home happy.

Russ

Leftovers. Salad chicken kebabs and mash spuds. None left now. My friend who called in today has recently moved into his own unit at a rest home. He told me he was struggling with life. We talked and we're going out later in the week. I gave him two red Thai curries to take home and s meal of corned beef and carrots and cabbage. Went home happy.

Russ
If only more people possessed Humanity.
After my Dad died Mum lived on her own till she was 95 yrs. We lived about an hour away. Her close friend and younger neighbor would have tea with her every morning. It was a bad winter, I was in a board meeting at about 12.00. It was her friend, Mum had not answered the door and the curtains were still closed. I told her to call the cops. I arrived just as they were breaking down the door. Mum was walking back to her bedroom to dress from the bathroom when she collapsed and split her head open on the corridor radiator. She had left her panic button downstairs. From the blood trail she then crawled to the bedroom pulled the duvet on top of her and then crawled up against the bedroom radiator. Her blood and hair had congealed into the carpet. The ambulance men and Cops cur the carpet so the could remove it in hospital.
She got back to normal, apologized for the stress she had caused. Refused to move in with us and asked us to find a care home. We did, she had 4 very happy years there. They had a brilliant young Chef who had been trained at the five star Grosvenor Hotel Chester. Mum really liked him. His afternoon teas were not as elaborate for obvious reasons but delicious . It reminded her of Dad who took her their once a week. Afternoon Tea Party Chester | Traditional Afternoon Tea…

Last edited:
He asked me to say something funny and good about him when he passes away. That was about 5 years ago. He's a retired butcher, one I've had a lot of laughs with. Burt Blank you were lucky you had so long with your mum, mine passed at 66, chain smoker. Just plain worn out and body shut down one organ at a time.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom