What did you cook or eat today (October 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicken salad.
kan.jpg

I happened to see a jar at the supermarket recently. The flavor is basically what you'd expect from a dill pickle. I have to say, I prefer okra with this pickling mix over boring old cucumbers.

1603982776413.jpeg

caseydog: have you had these (or similar)? And, as our lone representative (that I know of) from the Lone Star State, with the pandemic, the election, and all the other issues going on in our country, are they still the Talk of Texas?

I don't like tarragon either. Always substitute basil

Dinner tonight was crab stuffed shrimp and mushrooms, with puff pastry bites of spicy cranberry relish and brie. Dessert will be pain au chocolat.

View attachment 49292
Please post the puff pastry bites in the recipe challenge. :)

I happened to see a jar at the supermarket recently. The flavor is basically what you'd expect from a dill pickle. I have to say, I prefer okra with this pickling mix over boring old cucumbers.
- - -
"Boring old cucumbers" :eek:. I just counted that there are 29 different brands and sorts of pickled cucumber on sale in our nearest Supermarket. Russian lactic acid cured, super salty, jellied American style, extra thin & sweet slices, long sandwich slices, German, Finnish dill pickle, chilli flavored,... you name it - and over-the counter ones straight from the container too. I'd never substitute my cornichons and gherkins with okra. No, actually, it would be exciting to try canned okra for a change but there seems to be just one wholesale market in the whole country with that product available - and only for enterprise clients (mainly restaurants). Fresh okra is sold quite commonly.

As for the thread headline: we had wonderful takeout rhubarb pastries for dessert after the chicken salad. It was a pack of two; the other one had flipped (and caused a mess) so I didn't add a pic. I've been exhausted (and a lazy cook) after pushing to ridiculous extents in the juniper challenge :facepalm:.

Last edited:
I have to go for a procedure tomorrow so I'm only on a liquid diet for today. I think I'm going to use it as a jumpstart to juice fasting. I've successfully fasted many times in the past. The longest I've done was about 13 days but I am hoping to do 5-7 this time. ;-)
Good luck with your procedure tomorrow!

Reactions: mjd
"Boring old cucumbers" :eek:. I just counted that there are 29 different brands and sorts of pickled cucumber on sale in our nearest Supermarket. Russian lactic acid cured, super salty, jellied American style, extra thin & sweet slices, long sandwich slices, German, Finnish dill pickle, chilli flavored,... you name it - and over-the counter ones straight from the container too. I'd never substitute my cornichons and gherkins with okra. No, actually, it would be exciting to try canned okra for a change but there seems to be just one wholesale market in the whole country with that product available - and only for enterprise clients (mainly restaurants). Fresh okra is sold quite commonly.

As for the thread headline: we had wonderful takeout rhubarb pastries for dessert after the chicken salad. It was a pack of two; the other one had flipped (and caused a mess) so I didn't add a pic. I've been exhausted (and a lazy cook) after pushing to ridiculous extents in the juniper challenge :facepalm:.
I meant that the cucumbers are boring...they're a blank slate that can take on any seasoning. I have also seen (and made) a crazy array of different types of pickles with cucumbers. They don't really add much to the flavor, which is why I am intrigued by okra as a vessel for the spices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom