What did you cook or eat today (October 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And a puff pastry roll stuffed with tinned artichoke hearts, salmon and Crescenza creamy cheese

Looks yummy!
What are nigella seeds?
The recipe called for black mustard seeds, but I couldn't find any in the spice cupboard. I tried several other seeds until I found one that had the taste I was looking for - nigella seeds. I confess I had no idea what they were, but I've just looked them up. They are one of the oldest known spices know to man, traces having been found in the tomb of Tutankhamun, and they are mentioned in the Old Testament. They have a slightly bitter taste (this counteracted the sweetness of the pumpkin) and are mainly used on top of naan breads in Indian cuisine. Every day is a school day!

The recipe called for black mustard seeds, but I couldn't find any in the spice cupboard. I tried several other seeds until I found one that had the taste I was looking for - nigella seeds. I confess I had no idea what they were, but I've just looked them up. They are one of the oldest known spices know to man, traces having been found in the tomb of Tutankhamun, and they are mentioned in the Old Testament. They have a slightly bitter taste (this counteracted the sweetness of the pumpkin) and are mainly used on top of naan breads in Indian cuisine. Every day is a school day!

Thank you, and yes! Every day is a school day, I’m going to check for more news about them on Internet

Also known as kalonji - Spice Page

It's probably because I am common?

These are they (I believe):

View attachment 49531
I stand corrected - further research shows your post to be accurate:

"Nigella seeds have attracted a long list of different names including kalonji, charnushka, kala jeera, black cumin seed, black onion seeds, black caraway, black sesame, nutmeg flower, Roman coriander & fennel flower just to name a few, however, most of these are actually incorrect and usually refer to its close cousins.

Kalonji is probably the longest standing name for it, as it’s the traditional Hindi term that’s been used for millennia."

Continuing with the theme of using up leftovers, we I had about a quarter-pound of Mexican chorizo in the fridge, so we had egg burritos this morning.

It's probably because I am common?

These are they (I believe):

View attachment 49531
This spice is common in Finland and known as "ryytineito" (= herb maiden) or black cumin. The species is Nigella sativa. It belongs to the Ranunculacae family (buttercups). Black mustard is a rare variety of mustard (Brassica family). Only three sorts of approximately 40 mustards produce black seeds.

Last edited:
Please post a recipe for this and add it to the Puff Pastry recipe challenge. :hyper:
Oh it’s not puff pastry I’m afraid, just short crust.
No real recipe either. Just sausage meat, with an apple grated into it, and then made up into sausage rolls.

I added paprika to half the mixture for a flavor variation, and sprinkled with sunflower seeds for texture.

This spice is common in Finland and known as "ryytineito" (= herb maiden) or black cumin.

My information on black cumin (right or wrong) is:

"Black cumin comes from Bunium bulbocastanum, a plant species in the Apiaceae family, and is sometimes called blackseed or black caraway. If you picture white cumin seeds (which are used frequently in Indian, Mexican, Middle Eastern cuisines, to name but a few), black cumin seeds"

and this is the seed that I have:

cumin-black.jpg

My information on black cumin (right or wrong) is:

"Black cumin comes from Bunium bulbocastanum, a plant species in the Apiaceae family, and is sometimes called blackseed or black caraway. If you picture white cumin seeds (which are used frequently in Indian, Mexican, Middle Eastern cuisines, to name but a few), black cumin seeds"

and this is the seed that I have:

View attachment 49537
The world of spices is varied and multidimensional. I guess many countries have different names for imported and indigenous spices. The spice in your pic is also known as black cumin in Finland (like Nigella sativa). Here this long-seeded cumin is from Bunium persicum, though. The cultivated variety of cumin (Apiaceae family) is spice cumin (Carum carvi) in Finland. Cumin or Roman cumin; jeera (Cuminum cyminum of Cuminum family) is also cultivated as are mustard varieties Sinapis alba, Brassica juncea and Black mustard (Brassica nigra). A bit confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom