What did you cook or eat today (October 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night's dinner was Chicken soup with noodles and gizzards. For pud the first local pomegranate of the season. I have saved some of the stock for tonight's dinner of Squid with red peppers and black pepper sauce with apple Palacinke. The first pic is raw gizzards, 2nd cooked.
1604117109240.png
1604117144802.png
1604117198464.png
1604117227909.png

If we are talking about Harry's Bar in Venezia, I have been there, and had a Bellini. IIRC, the price was stupid. It was good, but not THAT good. Mostly, it is something you do just to say you did it.

CD
Before Harry's went bust and was bought by Blue Sky they were delicious. The Bar is our "local" when we stay here. Luxury Hotel in Venice - Bauer Palazzo

I cooked some boneless, skinless chicken thighs on the charcoal grill, with oak charcoal and some hickory wood. I used some for chicken sliders tonight, and have some extras to use for a new puff-pastry entry this weekend. I used some Stubb's Sweet Heat BBQ sauce on the sliders. Sorry, no pictures.

CD

I like them with the skin on, for me the skin apart from being tasty contains fat (self basting) it also helps to retain moisture. Nb it also look pretty and what do celebrity chefs say "fat is flavor"
1604119563609.png

Last edited:
Pork belly, brined and cooked for 72 hours sous vide then seared in a hot griddle. Pumpkin mash, flavoured with nutmeg and nigella seeds. Cider and apple sauce with Chinese five spice. Roasted vegetables.View attachment 49498

I have really been thinking hard about cooking some pork belly sous vide. It seems you want a fairly meaty pork belly -- not mostly fat. I'd love to hear more about your experience with cooking this meat.

CD

I have really been thinking hard about cooking some pork belly sous vide. It seems you want a fairly meaty pork belly -- not mostly fat. I'd love to hear more about your experience with cooking this meat.

CD
Yes, you're right about the fat content. From memory, I cook it at around 56 deg C so the fat doesn't really break down. This batch was too fatty. I use a wet brine with sugar, salt, peppercorns and dried cumin. I buy a whole piece of belly and cut it into inch thick pieces after brining. The only thing I add to the cooking pouch is a smear of duck fat. What I always forget to do is the compression phase, which usually results in the meat breaking up when searing. I make it in batches two or three times a year, and freeze in the vac pouches straight after cooking.
Sorry to be vague but I have only just woken - I will look out my recipe and fill in any blanks later!

Yes, you're right about the fat content. From memory, I cook it at around 56 deg C so the fat doesn't really break down. This batch was too fatty. I use a wet brine with sugar, salt, peppercorns and dried cumin. I buy a whole piece of belly and cut it into inch thick pieces after brining. The only thing I add to the cooking pouch is a smear of duck fat. What I always forget to do is the compression phase, which usually results in the meat breaking up when searing. I make it in batches two or three times a year, and freeze in the vac pouches straight after cooking.
Sorry to be vague but I have only just woken - I will look out my recipe and fill in any blanks later!

No hurry. I already have too much meat in the freezer to use. It will be a while before I am ready to tackle pork belly -- unless I see a good piece on sale, then all bets are off. :rolleyes:

CD

Constantly nibbling (in secret) the salmiak candies I bought for my hubby. The white stuff is indeed "salt": ammonium chloride. The inner is sweet and soft liquorice. When you get used to these, you get hooked. I guess it's like some people loving Marmite. I don't (because I've only tasted it once in Australia).
sa_2.png

Constantly nibbling (in secret) the salmiak candies I bought for my hubby. The white stuff is indeed "salt": ammonium chloride. The inner is sweet and soft liquorice. When you get used to these, you get hooked. I guess it's like some people loving Marmite. I don't (because I've only tasted it once in Australia).
View attachment 49511

They are as popular here as in Finland. I love salmiak 😍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom