What did you cook or eat today (October 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The flyinglentris meal of the day was spicy chicken rice soup.

full.jpg

The soup includes chicken, rice, onion, jalapeno pepper, mixed vegetables, minced garlic, sage, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, basil and chicken BTB.

Well, a bit of disappointment, but it turned out ok.

We headed for a proper pub, with proper pub food and drink, and when we got there...packed to the rafters. No beer and fish-n-chips for me, sadly.

MrsT got a little frustrated and dictated that we were going to go to the place we went to for breakfast, so that's what we did.

Fine by me, breakfast was fantastic.

I got a shot of mine only, which was just a BLT and fries, but it was delicious, very ripe tomato, and the fries were cooked perfectly.

MrsT had grilled meatloaf and mashed potatoes, covered in brown gravy. Had a bit of a laugh because the waitress was brand new, first day, and MrsT didn't order gravy with it, and the waitress came out and sort of sheepishly asked, "Um...did you want gravy on your meatloaf and potatoes?"

"Uh...yeah, sure!"

"Whew," she said, pulling the plate with gravy-doused food from behind her back, "I forgot to ask you when you ordered."

:laugh:

Got to talking to them (they remembered us), and the restaurant is owned by a Turkish family, so a lot of the food has a Turkish character to it. For example, her meatloaf had just a hint of a kofta-like flavor to it.

Better salad for lunch today.
I was warned it had a lot of spices in it. The cook likes them but a warning has to go with the salad because of concerns about the lengthy list of spices (around 20). To be honest , it could easily have had double the quantity of spices but I guess most people are not used to spices...

And evening meal which hag the potential to be bland but surprisingly wasn't. There was also a salad of leaves, onion, red pepper, carrot, tomatoes & cucumber. Plus a surprise lemon sorbet (totally dairy free, they know I'm fine with eggs)

Today I got to check off "tried Durian" from the list of things to do in life. It smelled about as bad as I was expecting but the taste wasn't anywhere near good enough to make up for it. The person who offered it to me was wisely ready with a pack of gum.

Its on my list too... along with surströmming.

Carry oot char siu noodles after the pub this afternoon.

No pictures as they are the same as last week, and the week before, and the week before that, and the week before that....

Bloody spicy though!

All very good, but those potatoes just make me drooling. They look delicious!
They were great!

My cream turned out to have gone bad, so I made them with milk , butter & cheese instead of cream and they were actually better than the original so I might post this recipe later 😊

They were great!

My cream turned out to have gone bad, so I made them with milk , butter & cheese instead of cream and they were actually better than the original so I might post this recipe later 😊

Oh please do it.
I'm not a big fan of cream in general and where I can replace it with milk I do (which is very often). I like the idea of using that combination of ingredients in the potatoes, well thought out, sweetie

Oh please do it.
I'm not a big fan of cream in general and where I can replace it with milk I do (which is very often). I like the idea of using that combination of ingredients in the potatoes, well thought out, sweetie
I thought of it because during the wartime rationing, cream was often replaced by milk in scalloped potatoes. And butter gives the same richness of flavor. I only added a sprinkling of cheese, and it was just as good as normal Dauphinoise potatoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom