What did you cook or eat today (September 2019)?

The ribs in the slow cooker:

B6FBB372-AD61-4EA6-9702-8BBDF4315ECE.jpeg

And the finished product after caramelizing under the broiler:

DEA34AA7-C20F-46F7-8AD8-1EA7D75A7C7F.jpeg

After everyone got done eating, this is what was left over:

5DE96963-D5D7-4895-9312-6FB4ABCC040E.jpeg

And that didn’t count the dessert!

Last edited:
@morning glory - this will help your diet!

Radi und Radieschen, which I think translates roughly as "mixed radishes."
13271969-B1CB-4470-8856-0F14A7DC3B63.jpeg

I didn't make the soft pretzel. The salad is radishes, tomatoes, onions, and dill in a simple vinegar and oil dressing. Very tasty.

....so far nothing to eat except the truffle salami and crisp bread. Unfortunately, I drank a whole bottle of wine, two small bottles of beer plus a Pernod. That means I have 200 calories left for today. At least, I think so...

Poached egg on toast, then. :)

Some things, I make once just to see if I can do it. Soft pretzels fall into that category (truth be told, I've made them twice). They're just not worth the mess and trouble.

You can also say the same for bagels, though I made those just the once.

I think both of us are fed up of eating out now.
Yesterday was lunch out with my parents, step brother and girl friend and his two girls. A party of 9 in which 1 is gluten free (by self diagnosis) and 4 are vegan. We ended up at Pizza Express. Now we used to love it and there was a semi decent vegan (single option for each course) course the menu. Nowadays there is a separate vegan menu...

Hubby and I shared everything (as in half each) so that we could try more of the menu that way.
The starters were rosemary and garlic flatbread with hummus and a pea and broad bean ball (think falafel type and you'll be close) in a minute and something sauce. The flatbread was excellent and we could easily have eaten it twice over. The pea and broad bean thing was ok. We could eat it or otherwise but probably wouldn't have it again. There was another option with dough balls but we've had those in the past these didn't need them again (also excellent).

The pizzas we had were the vegan versions of the pandana and a new mushroom one. Both were nice, but the pandana was the better and we both thought the same. The vegan cheese was ok. I make better at home. It melted, it did look the part, but it had no taste. It certainly didn't substitute for a goats cheese because there was no tang to it at all. The mushroom pizza was just that. It lacked flavour sadly. Neither of us would have the mushrooms one again, but we'd both eat the pandana again with extra onion chutney. There were a few other vegan pizza options as well.

There were several dessert options. I opted for the chocolate parfait and hubby opted for the combined carrot cake with coffee on the side (as in a mug of coffee). I didn't get many photos of the food except for these two snaps. My dessert you would not have known was vegan and was excellent. Hubby didn't comment on his, but polished it off quickly!

20190901_131901.jpg
20190901_131820.jpg

Last edited:
You can also say the same for bagels, though I made those just the once.

I make bagels as I reckon that home made tastes much better than shop bought ones here - and they are fun to make. I've never made pretzels though and agree its probably not worth the effort if you can get good shop bought ones.

I make bagels as I reckon that home made tastes much better than shop bought ones here - and they are fun to make. I've never made pretzels though and agree its probably not worth the effort if you can get good shop bought ones.
You may wish to try making pretzels - except for the shape, it's pretty much the same process as bagels, and when I think about it, bagels and soft pretzels do taste similarly.

I think both of us are fed up of eating out now.
As much as I like to cook, as long as the food's good, I quite like eating out. I like someone waiting on me, and I like someone doing the washing up after.

I've mentioned before that growing up, we produced nearly all our own food, so we rarely ever ate out. My dad's brother, though, he and his wife ate out every single meal. Neither of them cooked at all, and I remember thinking they were the closest thing to what I imagined millionaires lived like, because they were always out eating somewhere. Never anything fancy, just diners and family restaurants, but it always seemed so glamorous to me. :laugh:

Next up for my German excursion, Bauernfrüstück (Farmer's Breakfast).

This is something I've made a bazillion times without really thinking about it, because it's just fried potatoes, onions, and bacon scrambled into some eggs. Dark rye and tomatoes on the side.

Matter of fact, if I'm not mistaken, this is the very first dish I ever cooked for my wife, back when I was a pup. Probably why she married me. :cool:
9247B7EB-EB9C-46AA-BD27-81CDF0C6AC78.jpeg

Sounds delicious - you make your scramble much more cooked than I do. Next time I make some I'll post it up.
Usually, mine are very wet, but these aren't because:

1. The recipe describes this as more of a frittata consistency than really loose scrambled eggs, and googling other images showed cooking it through, with barely scrambling it at all, almost like a quiche, and cutting it into slabs to serve.

2. MrsTasty, who got served first, had less-cooked eggs - mine (pictured above) had to hang out in the pan while I buttered her toast, plated hers, then buttered my toast and plated mine, then took the snap. Even off the heat, because they were done in a cast iron skillet, they got quite a few minutes of residual cooking.

Luckily, like I've said before, I can eat eggs from nearly-raw to nearly-burnt, so I was fine. :)

Back
Top Bottom