What did you cook or eat today (September 2019)?

I'm no big meat eater but all these photos of steak are making me want one. And the prawns...

Um, they're shrimp. Prawns in the US are freshwater versions of shrimp. Shrimp live in salt water, as in the Gulf of Mexico. Another one of those things we call by different names.

CD

Um, they're shrimp. Prawns in the US are freshwater versions of shrimp. Shrimp live in salt water, as in the Gulf of Mexico. Another one of those things we call by different names.

CD

Here they are called prawns. Shrimps in the UK are tiny as in 'brown shrimps' and different from prawns. Another example of US/UK language differences!

The brown shrimp (also known as crangon crangon, is a small shellfish, similar in appearance to the prawn but with a smaller, flatter body. As the name suggests, they are greyish-brown when raw, but turn a vibrant pinkish-orange once cooked.

According to the crustacean taxonomist Tin-Yam Chan, "The terms shrimp and prawn have no definite reference to any known taxonomic groups. Although the term shrimp is sometimes applied to smaller species, while prawn is more often used for larger forms, there is no clear distinction between both terms and their usage is often confused or even reverse in different countries or regions Writing in 1980, L. B. Holthuis noted that the terms prawn and shrimp were used inconsistently "even within a single region", generalising that larger species fished commercially were generally called shrimp in the United States, and prawns in other English-speaking countries, although not without exceptions.

Mayan Pepita-Chicken Stew

Although this was good, it needs some tweaking. To me a stew has other ingredients beside the meat. This would make a good Posole. The Chili-Cacao Spice Mix sure added a kick.

Recipe - Mayan Pepita-Chicken Stew

Instead of water, I used chicken stock and cut the chicken recipe in half.

Last edited:
A rare dessert. I mean its rare for me to make a dessert. Its a dairy-free, egg-free deconstructed raspberry Eton mess (with honeycomb).

I had surf-n-turf for supper. A USDA prime tenderloin steak, cooked to medium rare sous vide, and seared with the Searsall. Jumbo Gulf shrimp sautéed in OO, butter and garlic, and finished with a chiffonade of fresh basil from the backyard garden. I poured the garlic oil/butter over the plated steak and shrimp.

I haven't taken a picture of my food in at a while, but decided to do it tonight.

View attachment 32783

CD
I'm envious of you picking it fresh. I should be able too in about a month. Planted yesterday. The smell on your hands is amazing. Meal looks sweet as well.

Russ

Pepper steak today.

Raw beef fillet:

Raw beef fillet with English mustard and cracked pepper

Pan fried fillet (45 seconds each side) and subsequently blow lamp charred.

Medium rare.

Served with small jacket potato, pan fried tomato and mushrooms, and coleslaw

Oh gawd, I'd be all over that plate.

Russ

Porchetta sliders with caramelized onions, provolone and roasted vege mayo on toasted buns. Side is potato chunks steamed, then roasted/fried with olive oil and salt and pepper.
2019-09-30 18.13.28.jpg

So about 4 hrs ago my son turned up with $30 worth of pork ribs. Cook your ribs please, I'll pick them up tomorrow . Ribs were on special at $6.50 kg, that's cheap,as chips, normally $18 kg. Just cooked and he's picked it up early, I left enough for my daughter and I. I just had my snack, these were good.
Leftovers.

Russ

So about 4 hrs ago my son turned up with $30 worth of pork ribs. Cook your ribs please, I'll pick them up tomorrow . Ribs were on special at $6.50 kg, that's cheap,as chips, normally $18 kg. Just cooked and he's picked it up early, I left enough for my daughter and I. I just had my snack, these were good.
Leftovers.

Russ

Wow, pork ribs are expensive there. :ohmy: That on-sale price is about double what I pay, here (with currency converted from AUS to USA).

CD

Back
Top Bottom