What did you cook or eat today (September 2019)?

After over 4 hours toiling to cook the chilli con carne yesterday, I didn't feel like it. My wife was going for a Hainanese chicken carry oot anyway, so I asked her to bring some for me.

So the first portion of new chilli was today. After being in the fridge for 24 hours (the other 8 portions went in the freezer) it had a pleasant and clean delayed bite, not over the top.

[Edit: I have no idea what happened to the colours there. It looked like a white balance problem (the camera was set on AWB) but I've taken a similar shot with the same settings this morning (albeit morning light not afternoon light) and the colours were represented correctly. Very strange.]

Last edited:
Not for you guys :wink:

It's a mixture of bbq sauce, lemon juice, smoked chipotles, cayun spice, cayenne pepper and garlic. I marinate the chicken in it for a night and then bake or grill it the next day.

Do you mean Cajun spice?

Had fun with hubby tonight for our evening meal. Picked up some globe artichokes yesterday. He's never had them before, ever. Had to teach him how to eat them for starters (as in he didn't know). I don't think he was overly impressed. He classed them as the pomegranate of the vegetable world, saying there were better vegetables to be eating (aka not worth the effort). Guess we won't bee having them together again. I tend to eat pomegranates by myself as well.

Sunday lunch: Mezzi Paccheri rigati with tomato sauce and grated Parmigiano as main course

I'd be happy with just the pasta and a salad. I have 4 veal shank pieces in the deep freezer. Can you say Osso Buco over cheesy polenta!

Wow, let's say it out loud then, Ossobuco over cheesy polenta!
Cheesy polenta here is called 'Polenta Concia' or even 'Uncia' (i.e. greasy): polenta, melted butter and melted cheese (usually fontina)...

Had fun with hubby tonight for our evening meal. Picked up some globe artichokes yesterday. He's never had them before, ever. Had to teach him how to eat them for starters (as in he didn't know). I don't think he was overly impressed. He classed them as the pomegranate of the vegetable world, saying there were better vegetables to be eating (aka not worth the effort). Guess we won't bee having them together again. I tend to eat pomegranates by myself as well.

One of my favourite vegetables. The bit at the end when you remove the choke is utterly delicious - especially with a simple vinaigrette.

Back
Top Bottom