What did you cook or eat today (September 2019)?

This morning my husband made a huge batch of chilli using jalapenos growing in the garden, some of this was dinner served with grilled tortilla, salad and sour cream with a sprinkling of cheese

This is meant to be a healthier version of deep-fried breaded cheese sticks, a popular starter:

It uses low-fat mozzarella string cheese sticks (cut into bite-sized portions), dipped in egg substitute, rolled in toasted panko, then baked in the oven.

Eh...they're so-so. 😕 They taste exactly like what you'd think a low-fat baked version of something that's normally full-fat and fried would taste.

I'll try them once more (may as well, I bought a whole pack of that crappy string cheese), but I'll add some Italian seasoning to the panko, and I'll bake them longer (although I'm not sure string cheese will even melt :) ).

I can't imagine that they melt like mozzarella. May need to experiment...

Fried mozzarella is a popular appetizer in Merca. You have to use low moisture mozzarella, or you get inedible blobs. I've never used string cheese, but it is basically low moisture mozzarella, in a kid friendly form. I also deep fry mine, but it is a pretty quick fry, so they don't get too greasy.

CD

I had surf-n-turf for supper. A USDA prime tenderloin steak, cooked to medium rare sous vide, and seared with the Searsall. Jumbo Gulf shrimp sautéed in OO, butter and garlic, and finished with a chiffonade of fresh basil from the backyard garden. I poured the garlic oil/butter over the plated steak and shrimp.

I haven't taken a picture of my food in at a while, but decided to do it tonight.

SurfTurf001.jpg

CD

Pepper steak today.

Raw beef fillet:

Raw beef fillet with English mustard and cracked pepper

Pan fried fillet (45 seconds each side) and subsequently blow lamp charred.

Medium rare.

Served with small jacket potato, pan fried tomato and mushrooms, and coleslaw

You should do so more often - this looks fabulous. :hungry:

What is A USDA steak?

United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). There are three "grades." of beef, in addition to "ungraded." Select. Choice. And Prime, being the highest grade.

It all has to do with the intra-muscular fat (marbling) of the steak, which is how well the fat content is distributed throughout the meat.

If you have 10 minutes to spare, and want to know all about USDA meat grading, watch this.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwHUsgxYxq8

CD

Back
Top Bottom