What did you cook or eat today (September 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had arepas tonight. I remember why I'm not fond of them. The texture. Fillings were mojo marinated pork, black beans, pickled red onion, fried cubes of boniato (latin white sweet potato), queso fresco, lime/cilantro/salsa verde crema.
View attachment 47293
I'm not sure which one I'm more thankful about: the ridiculously tasty (I can tell) arepas, or the tip about freezing dill.

I do want to try making a more balanced dill pesto, but I love the idea of freezing some fresh autumn dill, and then enjoying it when the imported fresh dill just doesn't meet your standards for what dill should be. They were fresh when they were in Mexico, but something was lost in translation.

But, freezing 3 months worth of dill (and maybe other things, like basil) makes the world a better place.

Thank you for both.

Morning Glory I think you have a side job as a food photographer, your food always looks magazine-worthy!

It is the food styling that makes all the difference. I am a professional photographer (not much food), and all we do is light the dish and snap a picture. The food stylist makes the food look good. Food styling, IMO, is MG's real talent! :thumbsup: (something I struggle with)

CD

I use a big plate over the frying pan to flip mine. But it's a difficult task. You need to be really fast and you can't hesitate. Takes a lot of confidence.

I do the same, I also use a lid to flip mine every now and then.

I’m fast but this doesn’t avoid the mess, it rather helps to do a faster one 😅

Pan fried horseshoe gammon steak, air fried frozen chips* (purchased), garden peas and English mustard.

* Prior to frying the purchased frozen chips, I peeled and cut potatoes into two portions, rinsed them and air fried them for 5 minutes each. Then placed them in the freezer (when cooled) for later.

Morning Glory I think you have a side job as a food photographer, your food always looks magazine-worthy!

Thank you. I'm simply using a rather old Galaxy S7 smartphone. Always in natural light (never in direct sun which makes harsh shadows). I use painted base boards for the plates/pans and have a number of 'props'. I'll write something more as a new thread in Food Blogging and Food Photography as I'd love to help some others here improve their smartphone food photography.

It is the food styling that makes all the difference. I am a professional photographer (not much food), and all we do is light the dish and snap a picture. The food stylist makes the food look good. Food styling, IMO, is MG's real talent! :thumbsup: (something I struggle with)

Thank you. I've a decent understanding of lighting, composition etc. as I trained as a film-maker but food photography is somewhat different. The food styling aspect I've had to learn and you are right, that makes all the difference when photographing food.

Thank you. I'm simply using a rather old Galaxy S7 smartphone. Always in natural light (never in direct sun which makes harsh shadows). I use painted base boards for the plates/pans and have a number of 'props'. I'll write something more as a new thread in Food Blogging and Food Photography as I'd love to help some others here improve their smartphone food photography.

Thank you. I've a decent understanding of lighting, composition etc. as I trained as a film-maker but food photography is somewhat different. The food styling aspect I've had to learn and you are right, that makes all the difference when photographing food.

I struggle with food styling. I can look at a great food photo, and basically duplicate it perfectly. But, if I have a bunch of food to put on a plate, I'm kind of lost. For the forum, I just say, "That's good enough -- I'm hungry." :laugh:

CD

We have two sets; the one pictured there is a smaller glass, meant for dessert wines and the like. I'm using it for portion control. :)

The larger glasses, we ordered those through a German restaurant in Minnesota. They used them, and we asked where they got them, and they ordered a set for us. The smaller set, we got in Germany. A lot of them, you'll see with grapes gathered around the stem, but we liked these simpler ones.
I saw these in a shop and thought of you TastyReuben.

I am told they are Hock glasses, and that they are becoming quite collectible over here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom