What did you cook or eat today (September 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like tamales, do you have a recipe you use?

Yeah, I go to the store's freezer section and buy an 8-pack of tamales.

I could make my own, but the ones I get frozen are good enough and I don't have to go buy corn husks and do all the other things. If I were to make my own tamales, I would have to do something really special. I had a friend who ran a taqueria restaurant chain and he made some special tamales every Christmas.

I could make my own, but the ones I get frozen are good enough and I don't have to go buy corn husks and do all the other things. If I were to make my own tamales, I would have to do something really special. I had a friend who ran a taqueria restaurant chain and he made some special tamales every Christmas.
It's always good to know a guy...or know a guy who knows a guy, LOL. And if you have good ones in the freezer section, hey, simplicity is a good thing!

That's not a cream stick (type of US donut), that's a cream slab! I love those things. Is that Bavarian cream filling? Mmmm.
I believe around here, we call that a cream-filled long john, and yes, if I had to live on just one dessert item, I think this would be it. Filled with sweetened whipped cream, heavier than the usual whipped cream, but lighter than, say, buttercream cake frosting; they also come filled with Bavarian cream/custard/pudding.

For the record, that's half. MrsT had the other half. We got those at the Der Dutchman bakery in Plain City, west of Columbus. There's also a Der Dutchman not too terribly far from you, in Berlin (or Walnut Creek, or thereabouts there somewhere), I think. We buy a dozen at a time and freeze them.

We have four left, so we're about due another doughnut run. Oh, wait...we're going to Amish country in Pennsylvania next month, I'm sure we'll be bringing back a carload of food from that trip, including doughnuts.

as long as the salt content is high enough, anything else that isn't oily pretty much goes
This is a very good definition. Thanks!
I am thinking whether my kid would like it.
I guess we shall try and see at some point.
Oh yes, the temptation. I totally understand. This is peanut butter for me these weeks. I see it and I go,hm, a teaspoon would be so goood😂. I try to limit myself though, to two tablespoons per day.

I just Googled. It's got a lot. The salt helps draw out moisture and preserve the meat. I saw one brand that had 400 mg per 1 oz (28 grams) serving. I saw the lowest sodium was around 100 per serving.

I was kinda teasing caseydog because in another thread he mentioned he avoids added salt to his food.
Wow,thank you.Hoooo that is a lot, Lately I do like eating rather salty though...I will educate myself on the salt content data. I got it for sugar and carbs...so I can now judge whether xy is ok for me or not.

However, moderation.

As caseydog says too.
(Teasing is good😄)

I just Googled. It's got a lot. The salt helps draw out moisture and preserve the meat. I saw one brand that had 400 mg per 1 oz (28 grams) serving. I saw the lowest sodium was around 100 per serving.

I was kinda teasing caseydog because in another thread he mentioned he avoids added salt to his food.

It's not by choice, I have to watch my sodium intake, if I want to do something like, oh, stay alive. I don't even think about buying jerky anymore. It's a salt bomb, for sure. My dog sitter makes it, and I need to see if she can make some lower salt jerky for me.

CD

I buy my tamales, too. I have a friend who is Mexican, and his mother makes tamales a few times a year, and I always buy a couple dozen. They vacuum seal and freeze well. There is no possible way I could make better tamales than she makes, so I don't even think about trying.

CD

I did cranberry almond granola mixed with rolled oats and 4 hard boiled eggs covered with shichimi togarashi seasoning for breakfast this morning.

full.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom