What did you cook or eat today (September 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cooking veal stew with potatoes, all flavoured with a pale lager beer

Last edited:
View attachment 71395

View attachment 71396

Chicken jerky.

I found out that chicken smokes much faster than beef: these were done in 45 minutes, compared to at least two hours when I have made beef jerky in the past. A few pieces got incinerated, but most of it turned out incredibly well.

Oh yeah, chicken is a smoke sponge. The first time I smoked chicken, it was way over-smoked. I had to throw all of it away, it tasted that bad. I'm glad yours didn't go that far.

CD

Oh yeah, chicken is a smoke sponge. The first time I smoked chicken, it was way over-smoked. I had to throw all of it away, it tasted that bad. I'm glad yours didn't go that far.

CD

For some reason, I decided to set the timer for 1 hour. Usually, by that point, it's just starting to show signs of drying out. But, I took a look before the hour was up, threw out the burned ones, and then started cleaning up early. I wish I knew that going in...I could have planned to smoke something else once the chicken was done.

A few weeks ago (possibly a month or more) I tried to make some vegan blue cheese.

We tried it yesterday and I'm really surprised as to how well it turned out. This was the batch I had problems with, yet it still tastes just like blue cheese.

Well done. I’ve never had a dairy free version that tastes anything like cheese.

Last night we had this pesto & asparagus pasta dish with cod fillet with lemon. My son won’t eat fish unless it’s raw so I needed a substantial dish to go with the fish & salad.

I can’t remember what the pasta shape is called. Tight spirals - like they have been rolled around a very fine skewer?

That's something I don't believe I've ever heard before. Usually, it is the other way around.

CD
Clayton in on the spectrum. Food was a massive battle when he was younger but he’s learned to like most things now and he will try anything.

His big sister was obsessed with sushi at age 6 and would make it with smoked salmon - back then you couldn’t buy the fixings or high quality raw fish required very easily.

It took us a while to figure it out but he does prefer his fish raw.

Well done. I’ve never had a dairy free version that tastes anything like cheese.
Several of my dairy free cheeses actually taste like the originals but you can't cook with them period. They don't melt at all but I do now have a dairy free almond feta, a dairy free cashew brie and now this dairy free cashew blue. The blue needs a touch more work, there's no tang to it but lemon juice should add that but I want to see how well version 2 worked first. Much depends on the probiotics used. They greatly influence the flavour and outcome. Plus i don't know how lemon juice/ acv will affect the development of the blue mould. However that's part of the fun, trying!
I've also a really decent hot cheese sauce to go over pasta or cauliflower/ broccoli and another that's a melted cheese that goes on hot and melted that's a ½ decent mozzarella substitute.. I've only used it the once though because we generally don't used melted cheese anymore. Cheese on toast and pizza are just things we don't eat anymore.

I have also fathomed that cost wise, it is about ⅓rd of what you pay in the shops for artisan equivalents (don't bother with the supermarket stuff, they are horrible). And that's buying cashews in supermarkets in 500g bags rather than 5kg bags which work out much cheaper. Both the blue cheese and the brie take about 4 weeks to make, if you mature them for longer the taste increases. The feta takes 3 or 4 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom