What did you cook or eat today (September 2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunday's Dinner for us two.
I found this at Costco in the refrigerated section. It's been cooked Sous Vide.
Can you see all that lovely schmaltz and gravy ?
YUM!
This roast easily is 8 servings, so I divvied it all up and made up a freezer meal for my Mother too.
She's gonna go nuts for this!
DH liked this so much that he suggested that we go back to Costco to buy another for the deep freeze.
The cost for this fully cooked roast with gravy is $7.79/lb. If I were to buy a piece of Chuck and Sous Vide they bugger myself, make the gravy ... I'd say this was well worth it.
That was a lovely Sunday Roast! I haven't made something like this in ages.

For whatever reason (funeral-related?), none of the restaurants around us are open for food, only drinks, except for the hotel we’re in, and they’re packed to the rafters.

Hotel food it was, nothing special, chicken tenders for MrsT and nachos for me.

The nachos turned out to be some flavor of Doritos, and they dumped guacamole on when we specifically said to skip that, but such is life. Not worthy of a photo.

I would definitely have better off photographing hubby's plate not mine, because my cauliflower fell over!

Oven bake cauliflower (whole) with an Indian sauce over the top, veggie burger, roasted sprouts and a baked potato with vegan smoked gouda in it.

It was too much. I left the potato, it will keep for tonight!
I'll try for a better picture tonight as well but not sure how well it will work. That was about ⅙th of a whole cauliflower.

For whatever reason (funeral-related?), none of the restaurants around us are open for food, only drinks, except for the hotel we’re in, and they’re packed to the rafters.

Hotel food it was, nothing special, chicken tenders for MrsT and nachos for me.

The nachos turned out to be some flavor of Doritos, and they dumped guacamole on when we specifically said to skip that, but such is life. Not worthy of a photo.

I wouldn't have high expectations for nachos in England.

CD

View attachment 90571
We still have farm fresh sweet corn on the cob, so good!
Of course a little butter and salt help too :happy:
I only bought two ears, but really, that's all we two can eat in a night, and heck the farm is right by our house.

Where's the Beef?!

Oh, here it is.

I found some Choice flat iron steak for a reasonable price, and that was dinner tonight.

Sous vide, then seared in a cast iron pan with some rendered bacon fat. Served on some peppercorn gravy.

FlatIron001.jpg

Just some bread on the side.

CD

I wouldn't have high expectations for nachos in England
Me neither :hyper: :hyper:
Stick to crisps, a pickled egg and a toasted cheese sarnie.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

But on another note, how sad that TastyReuben could only get crap food in a London pub .
In the few months I´ve been here, I´m convinced that pub food is definitely in need of a serious shake-up, akin to the Campaign For Real Ale in the 70s. the pubs I´ve been to in London and the South East are rarely Free Houses; they´re owned by big brewers. While the beer is good, the menus tend to be Corporate and very, very uninspiring. Greene King, Fullers, Youngs, Nicholsons, Wetherspoons - doesn´t matter where you go , it´s the same tired dishes. Burgers, Fish and Chips, loaded nachos, cruddy pies, baked pasta, revolting pizzas, sandwiches, all served with deep frozen chips and a surly waiter. Then they have the cheek to use buzzwords like "hand carved " ham, "outdoor-bred" pork and " goujons".
My apologies to TastyReuben on behalf of the British public, for a truly crummy-looking meal!!

Last edited:
Cream tea at the cafe inside John Lewis on Oxford Street. I didn’t have the patience to be diplomatic with my clotted cream and do one half the Devon way and one half the Corny way, so sorry ‘bout that.

Bad pic as well, sorry ‘bout that too.

it´s the same tired dishes. Burgers, Fish and Chips, loaded nachos, cruddy pies, baked pasta, revolting pizzas, sandwiches
The thing is, I don’t mind those dishes, as long as they’re good. I don’t really need a new, inspired spin on a dish from some hot new chef/restaurant.

Give me the full English for breakfast, a chicken-ham-leek (two crust!) pie at supper, maybe fit in a burger and a beer for lunch, and sticky toffee pudding in there somewhere, and a good roast on Sunday, and I’m happy if they’re done passably well.

We had Sunday “roast” at a Fuller’s pub in South Kensington in 2018 - 6oz rump steak, chips/steak fries, and 🤬 tinned peas…not even warm. No gravy, no pudd, and it was on the menu as “Sunday roast lunch - beef or chicken.”

Absolutely horrible. I could have forgiven the disappointment had the food they served been even remotely good, but it was just awful.

This is our second time back to England since then, and as soon as I see a Fuller’s sign, I say, “Nope. Find another pub!”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom