What did you cook or eat today (September 2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time making Fajitas, do these look OK? Made with the Hairy Bikers recipe using peppers, onion, garlic, tomato paste and chicken plus a spice mix I made. The corn was not wrapped in the whole wheat tortilla, but eaten on the side.
View attachment 89867
I think they look fine.

When I make them, it’s strips of chicken or beef, peppers, onions, a little cheese, and a little sour cream.

MrsT likes them loaded, with all that plus green onions, tomatoes, mushrooms (!), black olives (!!), and guacamole as well.

From a Texan point of view, the only thing historically that is absolutely necessary for fajitas is grilled meat and tortillas. The original fajitas were vaquero (cowboy) food. Skirt steak and tortillas.

Today, what you add to that is up to you. Grilled onions and peppers is very common in TexMex fajitas, and most TexMex restaurants add a bunch of stuff , from lettuce to pico to sour cream and cheese. That stuff is all optional.

When I eat fajitas, it is grilled steak, onions and peppers on a tortilla. That's just me being me.

So, your version of fajitas is as valid as anyone else's today. If you liked it, great!

CD
Hey thanks for the context :thankyou:, I know next to nothing about it! I hadn't even ever eaten fajitas before. It was pretty nice. We did have some sour cream on the side indeed. I just missed something green but I forgot to buy avocado's.

I'll try it with steak in the future too!

I think they look fine.

When I make them, it’s strips of chicken or beef, peppers, onions, a little cheese, and a little sour cream.

MrsT likes them loaded, with all that plus green onions, tomatoes, mushrooms (!), black olives (!!), and guacamole as well.
I was thinking about adding mushrooms, will try that next time. Glad to know I produced a reasonably authentic version, it was a bit of a gamble as I've never eaten them before.

I was thinking about adding mushrooms, will try that next time. Glad to know I produced a reasonably authentic version, it was a bit of a gamble as I've never eaten them before.
I've never done mushrooms on mine, but mashed pinto or black beans works well. I love lots of cheese and sour cream, though that's not traditionally Mexican. But you really can add what you like. Looked really yummy, I'd devour that.

I really wanted someone to try to eat the cob of corn wrapped in the tortilla. :laugh:

I was out-and-about most of the day but planned on stopping for take-out at the end of my travels.

IMG_2075.JPG

Chicken Gumbo and a side of Potato Salad.
IMG_2077.JPG

There is Rice under there and everything is so delicious!
Even DH liked the Gumbo, "What else do they have?"
My new tactic with a new-to-me place is get something to go, bring it home, if he doesn't care for it, no harm, no foul.
I had to put the brakes on to this and NOT eat it all, I didn't home until almost supper time ... gotta cook now.

Last edited:
Looks good. I can't eat it, but it looks good.

CD
I don't eat it often..it's hard to resist when I make them at work every day..I like to give myself one cheat meat every weekend..that keeps me going through the week. I won't take my blood pressure for the next couple of days..lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom