What did you cook today? (2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made the split-pea and carrot soup - four Tupperware boxes' worth! Lunch for the next few days :D and it's super healthy! Win-win :)

This morning was just poached eggs and toast.

But for lunch I decided to try out a new recipe I came across for pasta with artichokes and ricotta. It was pretty simple and straightforward - just cook some tube pasta as usual. In the meantime, drain and chop up some canned artichoke hearts and add them to a frying pan along with some olive oil and fresh garlic. Saute a bit until the artichoke just starts to get a little golden. Drain the pasta and add in some fresh ricotta along with some parmesan cheese and the artichokes, and a little bit of lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and toss everything together. Garnish with a bunch of fresh parsley (or you could have mixed it in with the pasta). That's it.

The sauce is more or less an "alfredo" with healthier ingredients. Olive oil in place of the butter, plus you're using less of it in general. Ricotta in place of the cream, which has a fraction of the fat. And although you are using regular parmesan, you can use less of that too if you like. It's got a slightly grainy texture, but the flavor was delicious, and it was pretty foolproof - as opposed to making an alfredo sauce from scratch and the cheese separates on you into a greasy mess.

The artchokes added some meatiness to the dish. I could have added some other stuff, like roasted red peppers, but I wanted to keep it simple.

Tuna casserole was my lunch of choice! I like fresh celery and onions in it. Then a crumble potato chips on top. Bake in the oven until the chips are golden brown ~ yum!

I am a bit lazy today, plus my partner is going to be late at home...going to cook mushy peas, cod and some baby potatoes...not the most exciting dish in the world ,but quite healthy,,,,at least...

French toast and bacon for breakfast! You really need to add vanilla to the egg mix to give it that extra special taste! This is my favorite breakfast!

I made a simple margherita pizza today, because I had a lot of leftover cheese. It was nothing too fancy, I did not even use mozzarella or parmesan, just some grated cheddar, tomato sauce and sliced, fresh tomatoes with a lot of basil and oregano on top. It was delicious though, for such a simple recipe.

I made another Indian curry - this time in the oven (so chunky spicy roasted veg) rather than the pan and included sweet potato puri and cucumber relish with the dish. The left overs are tonight's evening meal... And there is a batch of Teriyaki Kale crisps in the dehydrator as I type! :hungry: They won't last long! :D

Made some hamburgers for myself today!
Onions, steak (with some black pepper and cayenne pepper to give it some more flavour), cheese, tomatoes and a slice of pineapple and of course some ketchup and mustard for sauce. I had some pineapple left after making bacon + pineapple warm sandwich thingies so I decided to throw one into the burger and it did work, gave it a whole new refreshing taste.

Today was another lazy cooking day. Woke up a bit late, worked all through lunch so I found myself really wanting something to eat FAST when I was done with work.
So... cut a small baguette in half, some tomato sauce, tiny slices of tomato, onion, ham & cheese and then threw the whole package into the oven for a few minutes.

Fast. Simple. Delicious.

For dinner, I put together strips of chicken, spinach, mushroom and oyster sauce. I stir-fried it and then ate it with rice. Yes, a very simple Asian dish. Pretty good because the oyster sauce gave it a lot of flavor.

Simple again: rice and a couple of minced meat steaks. Usually I put mustard on my steaks but today I tried this chili relish I bought from the UK. Absolutely divine and goes together perfectly with the steaks. YUM.

Today I had the simple but very awesome pork chops with french fries and ketchup. Nothing too complicated, but very tasty. I plan to get myself an outdoor grill this year and will fry my meats exclusively on that, until the weather holds. Nothing can beat the taste of freshly grilled meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom