What did you cook today? (2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday evening I cooked fresh peas. Not so unusual, except that we picked the peas earlier in the day in the garden. In the middle of November! In Wales, UK! Usually they are all gone over by the middle of october at the latest. And they were absolutely delicious - as sweet as the ones we picked in the summer. Wish I could remember what variety they were!!

Dressed Buffet for 50 yesterday for a 40th wedding anniversary a big farming family ,they ate the lot, and today a afternoon tea funeral party for a very good friends fathers funeral for 300 ,with very specific request in his last will and testimony !
I used to cook for other people's parties and celebrations either in their own homes or delivered to them. It was incredibly hard work and stressful when there was a lot at stake - a really special occasion for instance - but the sheer joy of seeing happy faces enjoying good food and the host and hostess able to really enjoy their own party made it all worthwhile!

I'm having a very "homemade" day today :-D
During my lunch break (working from home!) I got dinner started and now its in the slow cooker: its windy and rainy outside and I fancied something hearty and warming so we're having goulash. I'll make some dumplings later to finish it off.
For lunch I've just had a sandwich made from what's left of the corned beef I made on Sunday - it was the first time I'd tried to make corned beef and I was surprised how easy it was and how well it turned out so I'll definitely be doing that again.

I made baked boneless chicken thighs marinaded in soy sauce, curry powder, honey, hoisin sauce, garlic, ginger, dried coriander, and soy sauce. These little nuggets of chicken feel like a boneless chicken wing. Then I make a blue cheese dip on the side. I served it with corn fritters. It's so easy and so tasty.

Today is Monday. Monday is hard. I had a mimosa for breakfast and a gluten-free oatmeal cookie, as you can see I'm very happy with my life choices so far. I made a quinoa, mango and kale salad for lunch with some crispy baked potato fries and watermelon juice. I love eating healthy. For dinner I'm planning to pan grill a T-bone steak-- medium rare with butter and rosemary. Monday is hard so I try to make good food not just for myself but my family too.

I made mashed potato casserole. I mashed potatoes as usual and then added grated cheddar cheese, mayo, sour cream, and butter. I spread it in a casserole dish and then sprinkled bacon bits and more grated cheddar cheese on top. When I served it I granished with chopped green onions on top. It looked fantastic and tasted great. As my son puts it, it's a baked potato with everything on it but without the work of digging it out of the potato skin. I served it with parmesan crusted chicken breasts and a green salad.

Dinner is pork sausages with a butternut squash gratin. I'm roasting the butternut with wholegrain mustard and lots of black pepper, then baking it with cream and topping with cheese. Might serve sweet corn on the side.

Just waking up, so it's time for pancakes! I bought these pumpkin spice chips on sale after Thanksgiving, and I think they'll be an interesting addition to the chocolate chips I'm adding to the batter. We're also having fruit on the side.

I get this song in my head often when I make pancakes.

I made ribs today, with a dry rub and finished off with bbq sauce under the broiler.

I've just made up a whole load of sourdough breads. Most will get cooked tomorrow, but there are variously

1 loaf of white with chickpea flour and brown linseeds (soft dippy bread)
1 loaf of 50/50 white/wholemeal
1 loaf of 50/50 white bread flour/dark rye with cinnamon
1 loaf of 50/50 wholemeal/dark rye
12 baps that are 50/50 white/dark rye with black cardamom

Also made was our evening meal which is Mushroom Bisque. I think the recipe is already on here, but if not, I will write it up.

I'm having a very "homemade" day today :-D
During my lunch break (working from home!) I got dinner started and now its in the slow cooker: its windy and rainy outside and I fancied something hearty and warming so we're having goulash. I'll make some dumplings later to finish it off.
For lunch I've just had a sandwich made from what's left of the corned beef I made on Sunday - it was the first time I'd tried to make corned beef and I was surprised how easy it was and how well it turned out so I'll definitely be doing that again.
Recipe for corned beef?!

I cooked a vegetable soup using potatoes, cabbage, garlic, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, and bok choy with a turmeric, black pepper and chicken stock. I also cooked a sided of mashed potatoes (with turmeric, butter, salt and black pepper), some steamed carrots and corn on the cob!!! Wow, I'm getting hungry again!!

I cooked rice and sardines for my dogs. I ran out of chow and decided to cook them something. I am thinking they prefer this over the chow. Any food human related they seem to prefer. Hours later and I have not cooked for myself or had a decent meal. Once I survive, tomorrow will be different.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom