What did you cook today? (2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just some sourdough today.
Dark rye, date syrup and pumpkin seed...

DSC_0550.JPG DSC_0551-1.JPG

Quite pleased with it. It's the new starter made up whilst i was up in Scotland and its rather nice!

Last edited:
For lunch I made fried tilapia with tomatoes, onion, soy sauce and garlic with a side of brown rice. I'm planning to make chicken salad with quinoa, arugula, parmesan, tomatoes and nuts with a balsamic vinegrette. I'm also planning to have dessert of red wine and hot chocolate combination I saw it reccommended multiple times so I think I'll start making mine tonight. I like planning my meals so I don't exceed my budget and I have something to look forward to. :)

I made a ham hash tonight. I used left over ham, potatoes, onions, red peppers. I fry potatoes that I have cubed and par boiled until they are crispy and then add onions, peppers and the ham. If I have eggs I will serve a fried egg on top just to get that added yumminess of the yolk on the potatoes. It's so easy to make and so tasty.I've also substituted bacon or breakfast sausages for the ham. This also makes a great brunch or breakfast.

baked onions in balsamic vinegar with a creamy herb sauce in puff pastry...

Basically get some really large onions, cut the root and top off and then cut them in the same direction again (not through the root but so that the onion stays together in a circle as through creating two giant onion rings). Cook in some good olive oil until browned on top and tail, add the balsamic vinegar and some thyme (plus garlic if you wish (I keep the garlic whole))... reduce down to a nice syrup and remove the onions carefully. Place them into a nice sized square of puff pastry. add some more thyme and if you want the garlic. Now add either some brie/camembert (or in my case some homemade herby cashew nut cheese), add the balsamic vinegar reduction (which should be nice and thick and sticky) and pull up the sides of the puff pastry to meet at the top.... now cook in the oven until the puff pastry is done. Serve with some veg as desired...

I braised 2 lamb shanks in the oven, gas mark 2 for 2.5 hours, cooked carrots, left over broccoli and peas, microwaved a container of mash :okay: turned out really well considering I have never done lamb before

I did a experimental dish today. I made pork belly strips with vegetables & noodles stirfry. I like to dream up new and fast ways to make good and healthy meals.
Pork belly cut in thin slices, bite size. Carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, beans, wombok and sweet corn, onions and fresh garlic, all sliced to stir fry, pre cooked Singapore noodles. I heat the wok for a couple of minutes, add touch of oil, the pork belly bite size slices and fry them, Add a bit of seasoning. Now add the garlic and onions and if you like, fresh chillies and stir fry them until you can smell the roasted onions and garlic, now add the vegetables, a touch of sweet soya sauce, a touch of hot chilli sauce, a splash of Thai fish sauce, mix well. Add salt if needed. Right at the end, add the Singapore noodles and mix well, serve and enjoy.

I did a experimental dish today. I made pork belly strips with vegetables & noodles stirfry. I like to dream up new and fast ways to make good and healthy meals.
Pork belly cut in thin slices, bite size. Carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, beans, wombok and sweet corn, onions and fresh garlic, all sliced to stir fry, pre cooked Singapore noodles. I heat the wok for a couple of minutes, add touch of oil, the pork belly bite size slices and fry them, Add a bit of seasoning. Now add the garlic and onions and if you like, fresh chillies and stir fry them until you can smell the roasted onions and garlic, now add the vegetables, a touch of sweet soya sauce, a touch of hot chilli sauce, a splash of Thai fish sauce, mix well. Add salt if needed. Right at the end, add the Singapore noodles and mix well, serve and enjoy.

I have no idea what wombok is but this sounds really delicious :okay: not 1 thing there I wouldn't eat :hungry:

I don't cook very often because I don't enjoy it, so I keep it simple. However last Sunday I did lamb shanks and today I did- roast chicken, potatoes, parsnips, peas and carrots. Ok for some people that is pretty run of the mill stuff but it was my first attempt at roasting a chicken and parsnips. My last attempt at roast potatoes was a disaster but today everything worked out just fine and I am really pleased by how well it turned out. Not bad for a relative newbie :okay:

My husband loves to cook and he really is terrific in the kitchen but it isn't fair to let him do it all.

I made my own pastrami today. I made the brine from coriander seeds, S&P, juniper berries, chili flakes and some other secret ingredients. :wink:

I put the brine in water and had it overnight in the fridge. The next day I placed my pork shoulder in the brine and last that sit for three days. After the waiting period I rinsed down the meat, added mustard and coriander as you do for the outer layer and smoked it in my grill. I love preparing food from scratch, it always tastes better afterwards when you put your best effort into it. I served the pastrami during lunch. :)

I made a great beef dish. It's called Korean beef but made with ground beef. It's so flavourful and easy to make. I had ground beef in my freezer and went searching on the internet for beef recipes. Instead of making the usual spaghetti, lasagna, shepherd's pie I found this. It uses brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and sesame oil. I served it on top of white rice and sprinkled with green onions.

Well I have been in the kitchen all day. I know I have cooked because the place looks like a disaster area (actually it really isn't that bad but...) there are many jars of Bramble Jelly. I think it may be a little too jelly but I will find that out in the morning when I try a small pot on my toast... There is also some soup and then there are some potatoes that are cooking in the oven which are a cross between a jacket potato, a chip and jackets cooked in olive oil... well olive oil drizzled over them with some herbs thrown over for good measure. It will be served with a pot of either dairy free pesto or the new 'Intense' range from Salca Italia which is one of those 'emergency' meals when we haven't got time or can't be bothered or are simply too tired (which is what it is in this case). The soup was had for lunch hence why I'm not having it for evening meal as well. Then there is some apple and pear butter cooking in the oven as well. It should be done by the time I got o bed, but if it isn't then it can wait overnight in the oven and I'll finish it off tomorrow. I think that is about it.... :whistling:

I had the pleasure of eating out today. I had a lovely T-bone steak cooked medium rare doused in butter and rosemary. The wine was good and very red. I also had some chocolate cake which was a nice pairing. I had a cucumber sandwich during lunch with a side of coleslaw and mango juice. God, I love food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom