What did you cook today? (2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cooked the 2 rye sourdough loaves today.
As I thought, the 2nd recipe was a touch too big for the loaf tin, but never mind. The oven needed cleaning. The wet dough overflowed somewhat during coming, but we both like really moist day rye sourdoughs so I don't mind too much. I will just have to adjust the recipe a touch before next time!

DSC_0496.JPG

I've also made up a tomato sauce for our evening meal. Onion, tumeric, asafoetida, black mustard seeds, yellow mustard seeds, ground cumin, ground coriander, black cardamom seeds, garam masala, aubergine, tomatoes, mango and some jaggery...

Today I just cooked my eggplant lasagna and roast chicken for our dinner we had tonight. And for our dessert I made coconut with jelly salad. We had a great dinner! :)

Vegetable stir fry sounds really good! I made hamburgers for lunch and for supper we're having pizza!

I made my own chicken strips. I take fresh chicken breasts and cut them into chicken finger size, then an egg wash and panko bread crumbs. I absolutely love panko. It makes the best homemade chicken fingers. They come out so crispy. I fry the chicken strips in canola oil. I usually serve with a green salad and rice. For a change I'll make homemade french fries in the T-Fal Actifry. It's cheaper and better than a Happy Meal at McDonld's. It only takes me about 30 minutes to make this meal so it's quick to make when you get home from work and my kids love it.

Dressed Buffet for 50 yesterday for a 40th wedding anniversary a big farming family ,they ate the lot, and today a afternoon tea funeral party for a very good friends fathers funeral for 300 ,with very specific request in his last will and testimony !

We're are on holiday so in theory I have a break from cooking. The reality is that nothing has changed except that I get to do it all in a kitchen in not familiar with, with none of my usual utensils and non of my usual resources!

So the tofu was drained, cuts into chunks and marinated in aa caramelised onion chutney dressing with added chopped garlic, yellow and black mustard seeds, cumin, ground coriander and chili flakes. I perhaps didn't put enough of the later in because I didn't taste them at all. The tofu was the fried off after a few hours and onions and mushrooms cooked and a tin of tomatoes added. As in the tofu and we more or less had a parts sauce. I would have liked to have had a tin of beans added at this stage, plus some tamarind and some apricot chunks but I was vetoed. Ironically whilst we were eating the tin of beans was suggested for adding to tomorrow's nights (now tonight's) evening meal to add something extra to it because there wasn't quite enough and we were left hungry! That is what happens when you try to make something last 2 nights but won't let the cook put all the ingredients in! :o_o:

Portobello mushrooms stuffed with feta, cranberries, and balsamic vinegar
Brussel's sprouts in a creme fraiche sauce
Plain sweet potaotes
Yum :)

Lunch today was a Spanish omelette made with left-overs. We had a roast yesterday and always do enough roast vegetables to have some left over. Tonight will be one of the courgettes that got away (grew to about a foot long!) stuffed with other vegetables, chick peas and so on. Comfort food now the evenings are getting chillier in the UK!

We had Fish and eggplant cooked with coconut milk. It's very milky and creamy, which results into a very flavorful dish. Everyone in the family loves it and we'd definitely cook this up again sometime this month.

I'm a Filipino, so it's common for our family to eat these kind of dishes with rice.
That sounds wonderful and is a combination of ingredients I wouldn't have thought of. Thank you for the inspiration - have you posted your recipe anywhere on the forum please?

Last night - Homemade curry with a twist - my OH made it. So all the usual ingredients for our curries only he didn't add the tomatoes. he added a tin of coconut milk instead! Lots more chilli powder was needed... but it was tasty enough and filled the hole!

I made a Thai inspired noodle dish. I use oodon noodles and sere them with pork and vegetables. I use ground pork and add soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, peanut butter and chicken stock . The recipe calls for tahini but I love the taste that peanut butter gives it. Then I stir fry some red peppers, bean sprouts and bak choy to serve over top. To spice it up we put siracha on and red chili flakes. This dish is so flavourful and so easy to make.

I'm going to feel ridiculous typing this out, but I cooked good rice for the first time this evening. I always manage to either undercook rice or burn it. There is no in between, sadly. Tonight I succeeded!

I made spaghetti and meat sauce last night. I used the roma tomatoes from my garden and cooked them down to make fresh tomato sauce. I added some fresh basil and oregano, chopped garlic, onion and ground beef. To up the vegetable content for my kids, they are not a big fan of eating vegetables, I chopped up celery and carrots. Then after an hour a put the sauce into the food processor and process to make the sauce smooth. It's a simple recipe but when made with fresh tomatoes from the garden it's fantastic. I still have another 2 bowls of roma tomatoes to use.

Just woke up and getting ready for work. I am going to have a few slices of french toast along with a few maple sauces and some coffee before I head out the door this morning. It is a chilly one here in Eastern Canada. Our coldest morning so far of the season but we know it is only going to get chillier.

I had a pretty proud moment tonight for something super simple! I made stuffed shells for the first time tonight. I was pretty happy with the result. I ended up filling the shells with ricotta, parmesian, fresh basil, fresh oregano, garlic, and pepper. They came out delicious!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom