What did you cook today? (2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried making something a little different today. As the weather has been quite good we all like to eat more outdoors. The barbeque was wiped down and a super simple steak was cooked on top. At the same time I pierced two potatoes and popped them in the oven Once they were cooked through I cut them open and sprinkled some salt & pepper and then placed a dollop of butter on top. Some salad on the side and honestly such a perfect simple dinner !
Its so good to keep things simple! Thank you for reminding me. :thumbsup:

Made baked/broiled porkchops done in a bacon-provolone sauce that to die for. Let them sit in the oven for a good 1-1/2 hours to soak in the flavor, then let them cook, then rebaked them in a shake and bake coating. Crunchy, tasted delicious, and went over well.

Us Americans don't have good "quality" scones around here, always wanted to try them -as with various other cultural dishes, some Japanese ones included. It's just so hard to get your hands on some of these ingredients!

My diet today consisted of 4 home made frappuccinos and a small bag of circus peanuts. :D yum

003.jpg
002.jpg

Made THIS yesterday at a friend's house. Baked Lasagna!!
I took the little one home!! :wink:

I was rummaging through my enormous stack of printed out and photocopied recipes yesterday and I found one for a spaghetti frittata and since I had all the ingredients, I made it for dinner. Along with eggs and spaghetti it had ricotta, Parmesan, ham, red bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, fresh basil and garlic. It came out well and my husband really liked it. I thought the ricotta made the mouth feel a little gritty, but it tasted good.

Since I would be in the office for lunch, i prepared a fish dish for the housemaids. Half a kilo of small fish, fresh from the nearby wet market here is a good bet. After boiling some green tomatoes on water and salt plus camias - that's a green fruit that is sour - the fish is tossed in the pot and boiled for 2 minutes or so. That fish dish called Pinangat is also the favorite of our dogs.

I made a lentil and bulgur salad that my husband loves. Very labor intensive, but worth the work. Served with Asian marinated oven baked chicken wings.

After seeing the picture of bangers and mash on the link The 10 Worst National Cuisines I developed a strong craving for that dish. I used a Williams-Sonoma recipe. I just finished making it and it came out great.

Our dinner tonight is what we call PAKBET or PINAKBET. It is a vegetable dish of water spinach, okra, squash and bitter gourd. For the flavor, we include fried pork belly. Sauteed in garlic and onion to have that savory taste and aroma of the Pakbet. Best served with steamed rice. This is a favorite of Filipinos in the northern part of the country.

Time to clean out the fridge so we had leftovers last night. We each had a big bowl of lentil bulgur salad and some leftover Asian chicken salad (chopped cooked chicken, cabbage, toasted broken up ramen noodles, green onion, sesame seeds and toasted slivered almonds tossed in a dressing of rice vinegar, Splenda and sesame oil). We polished off the chicken salad and were able to transfer the rest of the lentil salad to a smaller bowl. We still have some leftovers in the fridge, but we put a dent in them.

I made a lentil and bulgur salad that my husband loves. Very labor intensive, but worth the work. Served with Asian marinated oven baked chicken wings.
Why so labour intensive? Do explain and post recipe. :) I say that 'cos the lentil and bulgur sounds easier to make than the chicken wings, to me!!

Why so labour intensive? Do explain and post recipe. :) I say that 'cos the lentil and bulgur sounds easier to make than the chicken wings, to me!!
The chicken wings were very easy; just marinate in a packaged mix for 30 minutes or so then place on a baking sheet in a 375 oven and bake until the fat is rendered and the skin is crisp. Easy Peasy. I'm at work right now so I don't have the lentil salad recipe handy, but I'll post it if not this weekend then Monday for sure.

Today its chicken, asparagus and baby courgettes (zucchinis), char grilled and tossed in a little cream and lemon zest with penne pasta. Some crumbled crispy bacon on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom