What did you cook today? (2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband cooked us roast beef and home-made Yorkshire puddings. Sorry @SatNavSaysStraightOn my husband makes cracking Yorkies

View attachment 935
Lovely Yorkie! Let us know the secret of his roast beef (what cut, how long cooked etc.). I fail miserably with roast beef. It always turns out chewy and tough. Yorkshires I can do. Perhaps we should have a photo competition for the best Yorkshire. I've recently realised that Yorkshire's are very similar to Popovers in US, so members there could join in too.

I prepared eggs and sausages today for breakfast. I haven't cooked sausages in a long time. It was a good thing I bought one when I shopped for groceries.

Our dish for the day is a Filipino delicacy called Kare-kare. It is ox tail in peanut and rice broth. It is normally cooked for special occasions but we could have that too for a great weekend. It is really a good dish and the only problem is I always gain weight whenever I eat Kare-kare. Especially tonight for dinner, we had grilled pork belly delivered to match Kare-kare. So sumptuous a dinner we had.
A long time ago I had a friend who had just moved here from the phillipines. I invited him to a pot luck and he brought this really little egg rolls his mom made. They were no bigger than your pinky finger. They were some of the best food I had evey eaten. I know its a vague description, but do you have any idea what they could be? And if you do know, do you have a recipe you can share?

Lovely Yorkie! Let us know the secret of his roast beef (what cut, how long cooked etc.). I fail miserably with roast beef. It always turns out chewy and tough. Yorkshires I can do. Perhaps we should have a photo competition for the best Yorkshire. I've recently realised that Yorkshire's are very similar to Popovers in US, so members there could join in too.

Top rump, cooked at gas mark 5 at 20 minutes per 500g plus 20 minutes, rest loosely covered with foil for 15 minutes.

A long time ago I had a friend who had just moved here from the phillipines. I invited him to a pot luck and he brought this really little egg rolls his mom made. They were no bigger than your pinky finger. They were some of the best food I had evey eaten. I know its a vague description, but do you have any idea what they could be? And if you do know, do you have a recipe you can share?

I believe that egg roll is what we call fresh LUMPIA and the Chinese call it spring roll. The main ingredients are vegetables that are sauteed in pork broth. Sometimes shrimp is added for more flavoring. It also has a dip, somewhat sticky and colored brown which tastes a little bit sweet.

Top rump, cooked at gas mark 5 at 20 minutes per 500g plus 20 minutes, rest loosely covered with foil for 15 minutes.
Thanks for that. I'm always hesitant to keep trying since roast beef is so expensive - but I'll give it another shot. The timing is the same as I've used before. Perhaps the key to this is the quality and cut of the beef. I'll go to a proper butcher this time (rather than supermarket).

please feel free to 'run' one.
I'll not submit any of my husband's though!

Another sourdough bread day, or should I say 2 days really because this one was proofed in the fridge for 24 hours and the difference was noticeable. The sourdough is lovely and chewy with a moist texture. I haven't quite for the random large bubble distribution sussed so it doesn't look like an artisan bread yet, but I have another one (white garlic) in the fridge for proofing now.

This one, however, is 100% chapatti flour with a 8% fibre content, so very wholemeal and the colour of the bread shows that.

DSC_0102.JPG DSC_0103.JPG DSC_0108.JPG

I'm using chapatti flour because I have found that I can get a really well ground flour very cheaply that way.

I believe that egg roll is what we call fresh LUMPIA and the Chinese call it spring roll. The main ingredients are vegetables that are sauteed in pork broth. Sometimes shrimp is added for more flavoring. It also has a dip, somewhat sticky and colored brown which tastes a little bit sweet.
Thank you! My friend went into the marines and I haven't really been able to talk to him. So, I have no way of finding out from him, lol
In gonna have to look that up. I'm not going to kid you... I doubt I can do it. She made them all perfect little egg rolls.

Our dinner is roasted pork belly. The marinade is just crushed garlic, vinegar plus a dash of salt. The coal should be red so that the skin of the porke belly will be crunchy. And that's how it was cooked tonight. Thanks to my husband, hahahaaa. Tomorrow morning, we are set to have fried rice and Filipino sausgae locally called LONGANISA. It is pork that is flavored with garlic and other spices. You cook it by first boiling in water and when the water dries up in the pan, you put oil to fry it.

I've been tweaking my breakfast to make it more nutritious. Today I had brown rice with coconut oil mixed in and added raisins, a little ground flax, tablespoon of nutritional yeast and a dusting of cinnamon. I put a splash of milk on top to make it more cereal like.

Sticky chocolate brownies and vanilla ice cream. Ooops Mr WD has already started to eat both. Greedy oinker.
20150606_153413.jpg
20150606_153322.jpg

I tried making something a little different today. As the weather has been quite good we all like to eat more outdoors. The barbeque was wiped down and a super simple steak was cooked on top. At the same time I pierced two potatoes and popped them in the oven Once they were cooked through I cut them open and sprinkled some salt & pepper and then placed a dollop of butter on top. Some salad on the side and honestly such a perfect simple dinner !

Tonight is scramblers! Large tortilla shells rolled up with scrambled eggs, turkey bacon, diced tomatoes, sour cream, salsa, and cheese. One of my family's favorite!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom