What did you cook today (November 2016)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My plan was a chicken curry (6 portions) today but we had no yoghurt or fresh coriander and the markets/supermarkets are busy on a Sunday so it was the old stalwart - beans on toast.

Our 16 year old Tefal toaster gave up the ghost last week and it was therefore necessary for us to use the new one for the first time. Unfortunately I was put in charge of the toast and I cocked it up by not paying sufficient attention! (Or so I was told).

eggs sausage beans s.jpg

Luckily the bread was reasonable thick so it was not a major disaster.

For lunch, we had a small lunch of a bite of ham, dressing, gravy, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce with coconut and oranges, 4 different types of bread, grapes in yogurt and a cracker with cream cheese and cranberry salsa. Oh and pear cider. (Better known as grocery store samples.)

We made chicken, pork and beef fajitas for dinner. Also grilled some ribs for later. Had green beans for the side dish. And flour tortillas. One of our local stores makes them fresh in the store.

Oh @Yorky, at least one of our stores sell fresh ham what you call gammon.

Oh @Yorky, at least one of our stores sell fresh ham what you call gammon.

I hope it's as tasty as ours is here. At best the chicken here could be considered tasteless and the beef akin to old boots but our pork is exceptionally good.

I hope it's as tasty as ours is here. At best the chicken here could be considered tasteless and the beef akin to old boots but our pork is exceptionally good.
Beef here depends on the cut and how it is cooked.
I have had boot beef and I have had melt in your mouth beef.

I am making Mexican style meat loaves, chili rellenos, steamed potatoes.
Also cooking some onions, a small pork roast and a bell pepper casserole.
The pork roast and the casserole are for later.
Tomorrow I will bake a cake.
I went to make a cream cheese dip but it turned the consistency and taste of icing/frosting so I will just bake a cake to go with it.

Beef here depends on the cut and how it is cooked.
I have had boot beef and I have had melt in your mouth beef.

I've once had steak in a "middle of the road" restaurant in Houston. It was very tasty and not tough.

I've once had steak in a "middle of the road" restaurant in Houston. It was very tasty and not tough.
There is a chain that does sirloins. It is supposed to be the same every time. I have had good sirloins, I have had fair sirloins and I have had call corporate sirloins.
The call corporate one was nothing but fat. (The kitchen manager actually said well what did you expect.) I know they need the fat for flavoring but if someone orders a rare steak do not give them that piece. Find one with meat on it.
We do compliment if the steak is done correctly. As it turns out, they get very few rare steak eaters there.

There is a chain that does sirloins. It is supposed to be the same every time. I have had good sirloins, I have had fair sirloins and I have had call corporate sirloins.

It's 25 years ago but I would have normally ordered medium rump (I think you call topside?) if it was on the menu.

It's 25 years ago but I would have normally ordered medium rump (I think you call topside?) if it was on the menu.
I have no clue what most steaks are called in restaurants.
Ribeye and T-bone keep the same names. Everything else is subject to name changes.

I did reheated veg lasagne with jacket potatoes and handed over the control of plating up and serving with cauliflower to my OH...

Tonight is reheated veg lasagne with reheated jacket potatoes and whatever veg remains not already allocated in the fridge. I think it will be a mix of cauli and broccoli.

tomorrow will be the final portions of veg lasagne, probably cold because the temperature here is continuing to climb after a 15C plummet over the weekend. I'll serve it with a rice salad I think. Either that or the other salad I had planned which I will have to go and look up because I can't remember what it was! Ooops.

I have no clue what most steaks are called in restaurants.
Ribeye and T-bone keep the same names. Everything else is subject to name changes.

We have "popeseye" steak in Scotland!

These were not the plan but one has to eat......

hot dogs nov s.jpg

Double dogs.

I'm pleased to see that you've captured the egg bleeding.

And the B & S is cooked to perfection, in my opinion. Just on the edge of burning.

I'm pleased to see that you've captured the egg bleeding.
Yes - it was partly to show just how bright orange The Black Farmer's egg yolks are (ref. other discussions). These are the 'impossible to peel' eggs. I think they are on a par with your duck eggs in terms of colour!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom