What did you cook today (November 2016)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it hot?! As hot as Coleman's? Does it have a yellow lid?

It is as hot as Coleman's yes. In fact I don't believe that I could tell the difference in a taste test. It comes in a 1/2 kg yellow bag but for everyday use, I transfer it to a Keen's tin (the Australian name for Coleman's) which is also yellow as is the lid (see below). Both bag and tin are stored in the fridge.

mcgarrets keen.jpg

Grilled chicken, grilled cabbage, candied yams.
Yes yams, not sweet potatoes.
Oh and while I won't be eating it, also left pointer fingertip. (Right on the scar from years ago. Finger got caught in a door. )

Last edited:
Boring old hotdogs with fried onions and ketchup/balsamic vinegar (70/30) hiding within........

nov hotdog s.jpg

Grilled chicken, grilled cabbage, candied yams.
Yes yams, not sweet potatoes.
Oh and while I won't be eating it, also left pointer fingertip. (Right on the scar from years ago. Finger got caught in a door. )
Ok, explainers needed here. What are chicken fried steaks, how do you grill a cabbage and how and why would you candy a yam? I am intrigued

On the cooking front, the first day workout someone tinkering with the new cooker and....

....I'm out all day and home late. I cook nothing!
It would also seem that my new cooker only goes to gas mark 5 which is a bit of a bugger to be honest. I need to read the handbook but the dial numbers stop at 5...

IMG_1287-1.JPG

Not the most colourful of meals last night, and null points for presentation but it was good:

Shredded cabbage and leeks, sauted.
Black pudding mashed potato.
Cider, apple and cream sauce.
Slices of belly pork.

The belly pork had been a labour of love - compressed and brined (24 hrs), dried (24 hrs), cold smoked (6 hrs), chilled (24 hrs), cooked sous vide (72 hours), frozen (3 weeks), thawed (12 hrs), flash fried on a hot skillet (6 mins), eaten (very quickly indeed).

Ok, explainers needed here. What are chicken fried steaks, how do you grill a cabbage and how and why would you candy a yam? I am intrigued
Good morning.
1. A chicken fried steak is either a cube steak or well tenderized round steak, battered and fried. (Preferably lightly battered and fried in a bit of bacon fat.) Many people deep fry them now.
2. Grilled cabbage. You core the cabbage, I then quartered mine and then put it on a piece of aluminum foil. Add a little salt, pepper and butter. Wrap the cabbage in the foil. And place on the grill for about an hour. An electric one is shown here.
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/george-foreman-indoor-outdoor-electric-grill.8532/
3. Candied yams are fabulous. You take some sugar, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg and simmer the slices for a while. You can hard candy or soft candy depending on how long you cook them.

That pork treatment is very impressive! Black Pudding mash - I'm assuming that is black pud mashed into mashed potatoes

Yesterday I slow cooked a roast, cooked some chicken legs, also cooked potatoes (3 varieties) and carrots. Everything but the roast was on the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom