What did you eat/cook today (January 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor organisation today. I didn't have any suitable grass so this afternoon I made a couple of sarnies without and put them in the fridge. About 90 minutes later my wife arrived back from the market with some green oak so I had to re-group.

prawn-tomato sw 1 s.jpg

Obviously the green oak would have been better underneath the prawns but it was too late....

prawn-tomato sw 0 vs.jpg

Poor organisation today. I didn't have any suitable grass so this afternoon I made a couple of sarnies without and put them in the fridge. About 90 minutes later my wife arrived back from the market with some green oak so I had to re-group.

View attachment 4826

Obviously the green oak would have been better underneath the prawns but it was too late....

View attachment 4827

:hungry:

This looks really great. Scallops are in of my favourite things. I like the way you are arranging things on the plates. Pommes Anna sounds French and I think I should know what it is. But if you have a recipe I'd like to know how you do it.
Hi Alexander,

Pommes Anna: thinly slice potatoes, wash and dry, melt a load of butter in a pan. Using a pastry brush, coat the inside of a small loaf tin or oven dish with butter. Build up the spuds in layers, after each layer brush with the butter and lightly season. When it's 1-1.5 inches deep use a sharp knife to cut through the top few layers where you are going to portion it - you will never get it cut up nicely once they are crispy, a lesson I learnt. Put in a medium hot over for at least an hour until the top is golden and it is cooked though when you stab it with a skewer.
If you want to be really flash then put in a layer of similarly sliced carrot in the middle, it looks great when served.

Anyway, tonight's meal, salmon in red Thai curry.

20170105_180113.jpg

When it's 1-1.5 inches deep use a sharp knife to cut through the top few layers where you are going to portion it - you will never get it cut up nicely once they are crispy, a lesson I learnt. hen served.
That is a top tip! I'd never thought of doing that - and I know exactly what you mean! I've had raggedy layered potatoes many a time!

We just had
Hi Alexander,

Pommes Anna: thinly slice potatoes, wash and dry, melt a load of butter in a pan. Using a pastry brush, coat the inside of a small loaf tin or oven dish with butter. Build up the spuds in layers, after each layer brush with the butter and lightly season. When it's 1-1.5 inches deep use a sharp knife to cut through the top few layers where you are going to portion it - you will never get it cut up nicely once they are crispy, a lesson I learnt. Put in a medium hot over for at least an hour until the top is golden and it is cooked though when you stab it with a skewer.
If you want to be really flash then put in a layer of similarly sliced carrot in the middle, it looks great when served.

Anyway, tonight's meal, salmon in red Thai curry.

View attachment 4835

Thank you so much for the recipe. I am going to try this at the weekend. I love French old fashioned cooking. I'm trying to learn from Elizabeth David books.

We are eating chicken tonight. I'm using a French recipe from French Provincial Cooking by Elizabeth David, "Pot-roasted chicken with olive stuffing". It
is stuffed with black olives, onions and garlic with bread. I am making the Pommes Anna from Velvet Curtain to go with it.

We are eating chicken tonight. I'm using a French recipe from French Provincial Cooking by Elizabeth David, "Pot-roasted chicken with olive stuffing". It
is stuffed with black olives, onions and garlic with bread. I am making the Pommes Anna from Velvet Curtain to go with it.
Hope the potatoes work out, I'm doing them again tomorrow with Coq au Vin.

Looks like it is chicken night. We shall be having oven fried garlic chicken with a side of Jansson' s Temptation. (potatoes baked with onions in a cream sauce. Though I will be leaving the anchovies out.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom