What did you eat/cook today (January 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are having messy tacos and salsa. Oh and he made a small salad. With the tacos, we have chopped tomatoes, lettuce and onions. Also Mexican Fiesta cheese and I will have sour cream.
We also prepped bell peppers, celery, onions and jalapeños to freeze.
Any chance of photos, I get inspired by seeing what others are doing, @Yorky's pictures of his Anglo/Thai stuff get me thinking.

:laugh::laugh::giggle:

But you see we really need recipes to be posted. Do you marinade the chicken in red wine?
I understand what you are saying, but there are thousands of recipes for coq au vin. If this forum is about people who eat ready meals but can copy and paste instructions from google then it will die. Surely it is about people with a proper passion for cooking and eating, I want to be impressed and inspired by others - like @Yorky who lives a different cuisine to me and shows me something different but makeable. I will post recipes for things that I have invented (as far as I know) like the beef in oyster sauce flatbreads, but I can't write generic recipes and I won't rip off other peoples work when it is published for commercial reasons.

If this is a foodies community then we need to encourage people who are proud of their food and want to learn from others. Otherwise I am out, and in the long term Shaun is throwing his precious money away.

Thank you, I look forward to finding out what a messy taco is (I assume it's not a euphomism) :eek:
Messy tacos are corn tortillas just heated not shaped then ground beef cooked with McCormick Original Taco seasoning. Top with lettuce, tomato, onion and shredded cheese. Sour cream too if you like.
Or you can top with salsa and a simple tossed salad (no dressing).
Roll up and eat. Repeat until full. Keep a napkin handy.

I want to be impressed and inspired by others - like @Yorky who lives a different cuisine to me and shows me something different but makeable.

Almost every dish I cook is based on someone else's original recipe. However, I've adapted the recipes to suit the produce that I have available and to cater for my own taste (and sometimes my wife's taste). You do not see all of my "concoctions" posted on here - many have been relegated to the bin!

From the initial look at this evening's dish, it should be edible.

halogen hasslebacks vs.jpg

Last edited:
Totally forgot to photo it again, but it at the same as last night.

Homemade quiche/tarts with roasted veg in them. I'll write up the recipe tomorrow, but i roasted sweet potato, home grown courgettes, home grown cherry tomatoes, onions and garlic with a soft shortcrust pastry and home-grown eggs...

Then an attempt at one of the rice/quinoa recipes in a new cook book but I was missing a lot of ingredients and it gave no idea on how many it served... the dressing however was very nice despite my reservations at putting so much miso in at first. it white surprised me. I'll write up what I did tomorrow, but it contained a variety of been including sprouts, carrots, broccoli and onions... target amusingly I had already sliced up 2 onions and cooked them before I realised that 2 green onions sliced actually meant 2 spring onions sliced. :oops:

I understand what you are saying, but there are thousands of recipes for coq au vin. If this forum is about people who eat ready meals but can copy and paste instructions from google then it will die. Surely it is about people with a proper passion for cooking and eating, I want to be impressed and inspired by others - like @Yorky who lives a different cuisine to me and shows me something different but makeable. I will post recipes for things that I have invented (as far as I know) like the beef in oyster sauce flatbreads, but I can't write generic recipes and I won't rip off other peoples work when it is published for commercial reasons.

If this is a foodies community then we need to encourage people who are proud of their food and want to learn from others. Otherwise I am out, and in the long term Shaun is throwing his precious money away.

Oh gosh, I wasn't asking you to copy and paste! Personally, talking as a member (not as staff) I couldn't agree with you more. And you will notice that I nearly always post original recipes and I certainly don't post recipes that I haven't cooked myself. Its just that I thought perhaps it was your own version of Coq au Vin. There are lots of different recipes and I have my own version which I've developed over many years. Its a bit like Christmas Cake. There are many, many versions.

I also think its fine to 'test kitchen' already published recipes from the forum or from books or websites and I sometimes do. I think members like to get tried and tested opinions on published recipes. And I've been lucky enough to have members here trying out my recipes in their own kitchen, photographing them and giving feedback. :D

Last edited:
Oh gosh, I wasn't asking you to copy and paste! Personally, talking as a member (not as staff) I couldn't agree with you more. And you will notice that I nearly always post original recipes and I certainly don't post recipes that I haven't cooked myself. Its just that I thought perhaps it was your own version of Coq au Vin. There are lots of different recipes and I have my own version which I've developed over many years. Its a bit like Christmas Cake. There are many, many versions.

I also think its fine to 'test kitchen' already published recipes from the forum or from books or websites and I sometimes do. I think members like to get tried and tested opinions on published recipes. And I've been lucky enough to have members here trying out my recipes in their own kitchen, photographing them and giving feedback. :D
Agreed.

I also thought that you had your own variation and perhaps a photo to go with it. why you liked that variation etc. if you had it needs today apostate that to help the forum grow, not buried away inside this thread (or any others for that matter). written up, adapted and with your photo and a recipe is much more important to this site's growth than a thread such as this will ever be. even if it is adapted from someone else's recipe, you just link it to it, say what's different or modified and that's it. one or two small modifications can make all the difference to a recipe.

I either post original recipes or links to the best recipe I have found. Ok the exception might be my aunt's banana bread but I changed the name to give her credit and tweaked it a bit. I figure she is happy it is being shared. Can't ask her because she died several years before I found her recipe. I found it in a fundraiser cookbook given to me by my grandmother's boyfriend. (grandmother is mom's side, aunt is dad's side). And when the recipe was published, she wasn't my aunt yet but we all knew her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom