What did you learn about cooking today?

I learned that Jacques Pepin pours crepe batter to the side rather than in the center of the pan because it apparently helps with the swirling, making it easier. Haven't tried it yet, but certainly will next time I make crepes.
I took a cooking class in New Orleans and that is how we were taught to make crepes. Start at the side and swirl.

Not today , but last week I learned several things.
When you are cooking and making it up as you go, write it down. I made the best chicken I have ever made and didn’t bother to write down what I was adding.
I learned that sun dried tomatoes are great and you can use it in quite a few dishes.
I FINALLY learned how to thicken my Alfredo sauce properly

I FINALLY learned how to thicken my Alfredo sauce properly
I´m always curious about what exactly an "Alfredo sauce" is. For me and my wife (who actually ate at Alfredo´s in Rome, many years ago), its simply fettucine with butter and parmesan. In the US, I ´ve seen chicken, cream, garlic, mushrooms and all sorts of other stuff.

We are watching ATK and they made a porchetta style turkey breast roast where they deboned and removed the skin from the turkey breast, then herbed up the breast meat and wrapped the skin around it and tied to make a roast. The recipe is available right now at Porchetta-Style Turkey Breast | America's Test Kitchen Recipe for free but won't be without a paid subscription after current season ends. I copied and pasted because it does look interesting.

Anyway, the REAL reason I am posting is that they gave a tip on how to prevent the smokiness you tend to get in the oven when you cook a roast on a rack without liquid in the bottom of the pan. They crumpled up foil and then smoothed it back out then used it to line bottom of the rimmed sheet pan they used for the rack and roast. Obviously, I haven't tried it yet, but the explanation of peaks and valleys with air pockets underneath, leading to slightly cooler temps, makes sense.

Last edited:
I had a bottle that had some cloudy fruity liqueur in it. We drank the booze, and then I forgot to rinse it, so a lot of crud sort of dried to the insides.

Soaking it for a couple of days got rid of most, but not all, of it, and I didn’t have a small enough bottle washer to get in it, or one to reach up around the shoulders of the bottle.

What to do, what to do?… 🤔

Internet to the rescue! After googling it, I found a solution: put a couple of tablespoons of dry rice in it, a little soap and water, close it up, and shake hard for a few minutes.

POOF! Crud all gone! Thanks, Instructables!

I finally learned how to make perfectly fluffy rice, and it was (shocking!) to follow the instructions on my stovetop's user manual :laugh:
nc_ohc=LS5fjmBMNaoAX_0358L&_nc_ht=scontent.flis8-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom