What did you learn about cooking today?

I think the jury is still out! And I need to try to make a savoury zabaglione/sabayon with no butter before I can decide.

For anyone puzzled this exchange refers to another thread: Zabaione / Zabaglione / Sabayon (Sauce)

I don't agree that the jury is still out. My whole reason for starting that thread was that I discovered references to creating sauce from zabaione/zabaglione/sabayon. Clearly it had been being done.

I don't agree that the jury is still out. My whole reason for starting that thread was that I discovered references to creating sauce from zabaione/zabaglione/sabayon. Clearly it had been being done.
Where has someone used a sweet custard dessert to make a savory sauce? There has been no sweet custards used to make savory sauces in any of the dialog of the thread, just a technique that is similar.

Curious how sweet flavours with savoury items cause rejection. I can remember the first time I ate sweet potato with marshmallows, or pancakes with bacon and maple syrup.:yuck::yuck: I can remember friends from the US and UK reacting (negatively) to Venezuelan cachapas - basically a sweetcorn pancake served with white cheese.:yuck::yuck:But it is what it is - millions enjoy it, millions hate it.
What did I learn today?
I learned that really, fresh fish just smells glorious. I bought a kilo of fresh cod loin at a market that´s only on the bridge every Saturday. It reminded me of walking along the beach. Simply wonderful.

Last edited:
When making potatoes piece them with a metal skewer running through them. Potatoes turn out perfect every time. Probably a lot of people that know this but for those that don’t here it is

Took a cooking class in New Orleans. Learned how to make crepes. A lot easier than I thought. We made bananas foster crepes. The class was something we always talked about doing when we are there. Glad we did. Had a blast. Learned a few things and the food was delicious

Took a cooking class in New Orleans. Learned how to make crepes. A lot easier than I thought. We made bananas foster crepes. The class was something we always talked about doing when we are there. Glad we did. Had a blast. Learned a few things and the food was delicious
I cannot, for the life of me, get “the swirl” down and the resulting perfectly-circular crepe. I’ve tried literally thousands of times, and I always get crepes shaped like the ghosties from Pac-Man.

Baking in the oven

Got it! There was a simple device which I had back in the day. It certainly worked. I'm sure you can still buy it. Goes to search...

Here we go:

I’ve sent on tv where they will batter seafood and put it in the refrigerator. It’s supposed to make the batter stick. I have learned that it works better to leave the seafood in the batter mix and refrigerate until your ready to fry. Works out way better.

I’ve sent on tv where they will batter seafood and put it in the refrigerator. It’s supposed to make the batter stick. I have learned that it works better to leave the seafood in the batter mix and refrigerate until your ready to fry. Works out way better.
I've never had a problem with batter sticking. It sounds logical and your confirmation seals the deal. :D

It's not exactly a Snickers bar, is it?
Being diabetic I have not had a Snickers bar in a long time. I’m not of a chocolate guy but a snickers bar, fresh out of the refrigerator is really good. Better frozen too.

Back
Top Bottom