What Do You Do With Salad Cream?

I don't think I have ever seen it in stores here.

CD
Used to, I could find it only in the international market, but now both Kroger and Meijer carry it, so it's easy to get nowadays.

Some people will say, "Oh, that's the British version of Miracle Whip," but it tastes nothing like MW - it's its own thing. Not mayonnaise, not MW, just...salad cream.

I'm rather partial used judiciously in a simple sandwich of lettuce, cucumber and tomato. It reminds me of my 50's childhood. Mayonnaise was almost unheard of then. The problem I find these days is that its both too sweet and too acidic all at once. I need to work on ideas for how to balance that...

We buy bests Mayo, I use it in certain instances, but my go to Mayo is one I grew up with. With condensed milk. I've posted and Morning Glory said it must be too sweet. It's not. My kids love it as well and people around my age also. I wouldn't buy that one tasty looking at it.

Russ

Used to, I could find it only in the international market, but now both Kroger and Meijer carry it, so it's easy to get nowadays.

Some people will say, "Oh, that's the British version of Miracle Whip," but it tastes nothing like MW - it's its own thing. Not mayonnaise, not MW, just...salad cream.

You would think it would be available here, since Heinz is a US company, based in Pittsburgh. But, I just assumed it was a product for the European market only. I can't imagine they would make it here, and ship it overseas.

CD

You would think it would be available here, since Heinz is a US company, based in Pittsburgh. But, I just assumed it was a product for the European market only. I can't imagine they would make it here, and ship it overseas.

CD
According to the internet, it is manufactured in the UK.

I agree with Epic, the only time I had it was in the school dining room. In my opinion it ranks with obscenities like school tapioca euphemistically called frog spawn.

I would leave it right there on the shelf. Can't stand the stuff. Childhood memories of foods from hell.
That's what I'm after. What are some of those "foods from hell?" - unless revisiting them would require therapy. :)

In my research the last few days, it appears that salad cream is on an upswing with the younger generation, a "so square it's hip," thing, like what Pabst Blue Ribbon beer went through here a few years ago.

TastyReuben, I have never heard of or seen that product. What made you want to buy it? Was it what you expected when you first tried it?

would require therapy
I still bear the scars - a beetroot and salad cream sandwich, my two food hell's brought together between two slices of bread. By coincidence I was reminded of salad cream last week. We had a yen for a Caesar salad, but lacked the wherewithal to make one (being on holiday). My wife spotted a packet of Heinz Caesar dressing in a supermarket, and we thought, why not? Tart it up with some extra anchovies and garlic, seasoning etc., how bad could it get? Well, 'salad cream' is how bad it got. I'm sure Heinz must have a special division devoted to the creation of disgusting, taste bud assaulting, stomach churning concoctions of pure evil.

Back
Top Bottom